Why bridge networking sometime work and sometime not

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Aldomoro

Why bridge networking sometime work and sometime not

Post by Aldomoro »

Hello

I have Dell Latitude E6430s with Intel Centrino Advanced N-6205 wireless card and bridge networking works. I mean virtual machines can see each others. I have also Dell Optiplex 7010 with wired connection and VMs does not see each others. Does it mean that bridge networking does not work on wired connection? Or that only some network card support this (no matter if wired or wireless)? Does it mean if I buy new computer it must be loterry if bridge networking will work there?

Thank you for your help
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Why bridge networking sometime work and sometime not

Post by mpack »

I don't know how to answer this. It's impossible to say that "VirtualBox bridged networking works with all wired network cards" unless we test every NIC that exists, since a single negative disproves the entire statement. All I can tell you is that I've never had a problem with bridged networking to any wired card, and I can't remember the last time I read a report of a problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Same here. If anything, it's the WiFi-bridged that has issues, it may or may not work. I don't remember either a case of wired-bridged failing due to the NIC. There's something else going on here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thinking about it, VirtualBox bridging works by inserting a filter driver into the host OS networking stack. So, VirtualBox isn't required to support every possible wired NIC, it only has to support one flavor of host OS driver. And we know that VirtualBox bridged network filter drivers work on Windows hosts.

So yes, it's something else, such as the OP jumping to conclusions after a guest OS fails to make a network connection for any number of more likely reasons.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Could be another filter in the stack? Like Wireshark (usually not), a networking monitor or similar, or an antivirus/guardian?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In past Windows versions the number of drivers in the stack might become a problem, but AFAIK Windows 10 no longer has such a limitation. Unfortunately the OP doesn't seem to have mentioned what the host OS is. I'm going to assume it's a Windows host (given the Dell brand), and move this topic there.