Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
zamaral

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by zamaral »

The virtual machine 'Kali Linux' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\"username"\VirtualBox VMs\Kali Linux\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

Would somebody mind helping me fix this?

I'm using Windows 10, Intel Virtualization is enabled.

I've gone through every guide I can think of to get this fixed. I can't get my VM to run.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by andyp73 »

More details may be available in 'C:\Users\"username"\VirtualBox VMs\Kali Linux\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'
There is a guide FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.. If that doesn't work then if you can upload the file (zipped) then we may be able to help diagnose the issue. Without it we are fumbling about in the dark!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
zamaral

Post by zamaral »

Andy, I'm trying to install this on my company' laptop. I'm unable to disable the antivirus due to work policy. Is there anything else I can do? I've made sure Hyper-V is turned off. I still get the same error.
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jan 2018, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Well, first of all you didn't updload the "VBoxHardening.log.zip" so we could see what else is there. Or what's there at all!

But if you think it's your antivirus, add an exception for VirtualBox. Talk to the manufacturer. Tell them the if they want to stick their nose (DLLs) into other people's affairs (VirtualBox process), they better be signed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zamaral

Post by zamaral »

Here you go. My apologies for not uploading this at first. Thank you for trying to help me figure this out.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
Here's the Log.
(16.72 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I tried to be subtle about it ("VBoxHardening.log.zip"), but you missed the bold, red, underlined part ;)

In any event:
5010.4c24:     FileDescription: Cylance Protect Driver
Known troublemaker. You'll need to either add an exception for VirtualBox, update it, disable it or uninstall it. Depends on what you can/can't do...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zamaral

Post by zamaral »

Thank you so much, I'll make a request to waive virtuabox from Cylance. Have a great day. I truly appreciate your help.
Henrike

Post by Henrike »

Hi all.
I solved this, inspired by a page here about "VBox Hardening issues"
Most likely you will see in your VBoxHardening.log file some - failing - dll checks.
This can be caused by dll injection by malware, but also simply by some poorly configured installation software.
Find those dlls in your system32 folder. Compare their version number to others. Or to the output of the good old "ver" command.
This way you will find those dlls that are for an other version of windows, sometimes just a service pack away.
As now Virtualbox checks system files integrity, this won't pass if key dlls have incorrect version numbers. In my case it was about user32.dll that a cool BT-usb key install software dowgraded from sp1 to sp0.
Replacing the file solves the issu (in this case, necessarily, launching the process from an other OS).
Hope this helps. Good wind.
rdevnani

Post by rdevnani »

Hi All,

I solved this by disabling my HP Sure Click and installing another antivirus and eventually it worked.