Windows 10 activation on linked clones...??

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
markanderson

Windows 10 activation on linked clones...??

Post by markanderson »

Virtual Box ver: 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.2)
Windows 10 Pro: ver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

Using previous versions of Virtual Box and Windows 10 I was able to create a fresh Windows 10 VM (using a dedicated product key) and then create any number of linked clones that had an activated version of Windows 10.

After reinstalling VBox (ver listed above), when I create a linked clone, the cloned version of Windows 10 is not activated. I have no idea what I am doing differently? Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can create an activated Windows 10 linked clone??

TX
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 activation on linked clones...??

Post by mpack »

As far as I'm aware there has been no change in VirtualBox behaviour in this area: ever.

I would expect every version of Windows from Win7 onwards to fail an activation check in a clone (linked vs full clone making no difference), unless you took prior steps to freeze DMI information. Otherwise all VMs have a unique motherboard signature which Windows detects.

I suspect that your Win10 clone was never activated, it's just that there's a certain lag before the next time it checks with the server, and a certain grace period to avoid it being too finicky.
markanderson

Post by markanderson »

Well, I was using the linked clones for over a year and they were always downloading the most recent Windows updates???

So, regardless, I actually have several spare Windows 10 product keys, but there must be a more elegant solution to get around the problem?? Anyone have any suggestions??
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ask Microsoft? Just saying, because they're the ones doing the activation and the whole thing, not VirtualBox...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.