[Solved] Cannot run VM anymore after Win10 creators update ; not sure of my diagnosis though...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SeedAction

[Solved] Cannot run VM anymore after Win10 creators update ; not sure of my diagnosis though...

Post by SeedAction »

What i have :

- Laptop running Win10

- A buggy Windows 10 user profile since recent Win10 creators update --> unable to access cmd nor run .bat files FOR MY USER PROFILE ONLY (hence the 'buggy user profile)

- VirtualBox 5.1.22

- A xUbuntu VM which stopped working (also since recent Win10 update)

Error when trying to launch VM:

Code: Select all

Échec de l'ouverture de session pour la machine virtuelle xUbuntu.
The virtual machine 'xUbuntu' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).  More details may be available in 'C:\Users\SeedAction\VirtualBox VMs\xUbuntu\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
Code d'erreur : E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Composant : MachineWrap
Interface : IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

When I check VBoxHardening.log the file ends like so :

1e28.1e9c: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cache hit (Unknown Status -626 (0xfffffd8e)) on \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]

1e28.1e9c: Error (rc=0):

1e28.1e9c: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached rc=Unknown Status -626 (0xfffffd8e) fImage=1 fProtect=0x10 fAccess=0xf cHits=4 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll

1e28.1e9c: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000190 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.dll'

1d88.2360: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[2]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 594 ms, the end);

1034.1d6c: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 985 ms, the end);

What I tried :

- I tried cloning my VM with VirtualBox integrated tool - that led me to an error

- I tried copying my .vdi to another drive - which also led me to an error.

- I thought it could be due to some bad sectors on my hard drive, so i ran chkdsk on drive C:/.
The results were a bit disapointing. No bad sectors, no corrupted data, no chkdsk 'repairing' needed.

- Lastly I checked the @mpack topic on VirtualBox Hardening Issues.

I read somewhere on this forum that updating VirtualBox could solve this problem but would I then lose all my registered VMs ?

Would really appreciate some help as this .vdi basicaly is my last 2 years of working files...

Best regards,

SeedAction
Last edited by SeedAction on 22. Jan 2018, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot run VM anymore after Win10 creators update ; not sure of my diagnosis though...

Post by socratis »

SeedAction wrote:updating VirtualBox could solve this problem but would I then lose all my registered VMs ?
No. Just like upgrading your LibreOffice suite doesn't lose your documents/spreadsheets.
SeedAction wrote:this .vdi basicaly is my last 2 years of working files...
I hope you have at least two separate backups of the whole VM folder...

But you didn't start... nicely. Corrupted profile? There's nothing non-text that VirtualBox uses for your profile (registry for example) so if you don't have corrupt files, that's not your problem (on the surface).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SeedAction

Re: Cannot run VM anymore after Win10 creators update ; not sure of my diagnosis though...

Post by SeedAction »

Hey! Thanks for your reply :)

Unfortunately, the last backups I made are roughly 1 year old...

I didn't quite get the second part of your message though... I didn't start nicely? Have I done something wrong?

If I understand what you are saying is that my issue isn't due to corrupt .vdi / corrupt harddrive sector where the .vdi is stored? Does my corrupted w10 user profile would be the cause then?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

SeedAction wrote:Does my corrupted w10 user profile would be the cause then?
I highly doubt it. The "didn't start well" is in reference to you saying that you have a corrupt profile and can't even run basic stuff.
SeedAction wrote:More details may be available in 'C:\Users\SeedAction\VirtualBox VMs\xUbuntu\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
ZIP that file and attach it.
SeedAction wrote:Unfortunately, the last backups I made are roughly 1 year old...
You can make one right now. Just copy the whole VM folder to an external HD. That's your VM backup. See "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SeedAction

Post by SeedAction »

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer... PowerShell's still accessible though !

I've attached my vBoxHardeningLog.

I cannot make a backup as Windows keeps me from copying the .vdi file :

Unable to read from source file or disk
As said previously : I ran both sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f. Everything goes fine, Windows is telling me everything is ok with my drives... but I still cannot make a copy of the whole VM folder nor move it to another location.
I also tried cloning it within VirtualBox, but that did not work neither...
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
VBox Hardening Log - Error code 0x1
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

5.1.22? That's a problem right there. If you want to use latest Windows then you need to use latest VirtualBox too.
SeedAction

Post by SeedAction »

Thanks a lot @mpack!

Early versions of win10 were supported in 5.1.22 but not win10 Creators. Hence updating to latest the VirtualBox solved the problem (thank you @socratis for the hint about losing or not VMs when updating).

The corrupted win10 user profile with cmd not working, despite being another pain in the neck, was totally irrelevant here, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for your time and knowledge, subject is solved for me :)