Guest Additions could not be mounted

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kesepian
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linut Mint

Guest Additions could not be mounted

Post by kesepian »

Hi!
I use Windows 7 as host and under VirtualBox (Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.2)) I have installed Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE x64.
I selected the Clipboard and Drag n Drop to be bidirectional but they are not.

While the Linux Mint machine was running, I clicked Devices - Insert guest Additions CD Image but then I receive an error.
Could not mount the media/drive C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOKED)

Searching the Internet, someone said that running this command under Terminal, will install the guest additions.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-utils
This will install the guest additions and is more or less equivalent to installing via the ISO.
I did that, everything went fine under the Terminal after using that command.
But... Why can t I have a bidirectional Clipboard or Drag n Drop?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Additions could not be mounted

Post by socratis »

1. Search the webs for "VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED". There are plenty of results. Restrict them to the forums by searching for "VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED site:forums.virtualbox.org".
  2. Someone on the internet said...? Well, you could ask that someone for clarification/help, for starters. But the command that you're using will install the distro's forked version of the Guest Additions. And they have issues. You should do what the User Manual says, ch. 4.2, not some random someone in some random somehwere. The information may be outdated and/or simply wrong. So, uninstall/delete/purge your distro's GAs and install the ones that come with your VirtualBox installation. You should to download however the updated 5.2.6 GAs from the Downloads section...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.