[Solved] Critical ERROR: Xubuntu installed and worked but crashed hours later

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mosd73

[Solved] Critical ERROR: Xubuntu installed and worked but crashed hours later

Post by mosd73 »

I installed Xubuntu and some packages (buildessentials, libssl, nodejs, nvm) and a couple hours of leaving the system unattended, it crashed. What could've caused it to crash?

The only thing I can think of is hardware incompatibility issues. Is there a way to figure this out?

I've attached the vbox log asked below (png is blank and won't be included):
VBox.zip
(52.66 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 20. Jan 2018, 01:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical ERROR: Xubuntu installed and worked but crashed hours later

Post by socratis »

Please delete your attachments and post a single VBox.log from when the crash happened. But ZIPPED first. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two. And I also deleted your second message that contained nothing but a black rectangle. Not that helpful in this case. Or in any case... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mosd73

Post by mosd73 »

Done! I'll try to re-install Xubuntu and recreate the problem to see why it's crashed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Excellent! Thank you very much for that! Now, let's see what the log says...
00:00:16.958838 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2403 (VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC)
Not good news I'm afraid, that's a hard VM crash. But it could be hopefully resolved.
00:00:01.233417 Guest OS type: 'Linux'
There are more specific templates you could be using with Xubuntu, like the Ubuntu one. 32- or 64-bit, depending on what you want to install...
00:00:01.257678 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
And this is why you crash. You need to enable virtualization in your host's BIOS, or make sure that nothing else is using exclusively the hardware virtualization features, like Hyper-V, other virtualizers, antivirus, emulators, debuggers, etc.

I would also suggest the following:
  • Download the 5.2.6 updated Guest Additions from the Downloads page and install them in the guest.
  • Enable 3D acceleration.
  • Increase the vRAM to 32 or 64 MB from its current 16 MB.
  • Download and install the Extension Pack on the host, from the Downloads page again. It has to match your VirtualBox main program version, and if you update VirtualBox, you should update the ExtPack as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mosd73

Post by mosd73 »

@socratis, thanks! I completely forgot about AMD-V. It's working now. =)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].