Can't update VirtualBox 5.2.6-120293 on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ken-tucky

Can't update VirtualBox 5.2.6-120293 on Windows 10

Post by Ken-tucky »

Hi !

I recently successfully installed VirtualBox (my current version is 5.2.4 r119785) on Windows 10 (version 1709, compilation 16299.192) and started any virtual system I had on Windows 7 host previously. The problem I have is in updating it to the newest version (5.2.6-120293). When trying to lunch update instalation it throws me an error. It's a very short message :"Error extracting package #1: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED".

Does anyone had the same error ? Can anyone suggest some solution to this ?

I haven't tried unistalling virtualbox from my host system and install it from scratch because I'm afraid of doing this since I need my virtualbox to work. I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to install it again with a fresh, new version so I would like to try all what is possible to update it first.

Thanks and regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't update VirtualBox 5.2.6-120293 on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Ken-tucky wrote:Error extracting package #1: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED
That could be an overzealous antivirus. Do you have any? If yes, uninstall them. Try to disable them at first, but I highly doubt that they will behave. If that doesn't work, uninstall them...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ken-tucky

Post by Ken-tucky »

Actually I don't have any external antivirus. I tried to disable embedded in Win10 Windows Defender but it didn't work. Still couldn't update vistualbox.

I also tried run this update as an administrator and run it from Safe Mode level. But to no avail.

Thanks for a suggestion. Still looking for a solution.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would then start by checking the system permissions, resetting them to their defaults. I'd start with the TEMP directory, making sure that it's there, it's set and you have read-write access. But this is mostly a question about your computer not a VirtualBox one, the VirtualBox installer relies on the Microsoft installer, another good starting point...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ken-tucky

Post by Ken-tucky »

I actually moved TEMP directory to a different location ! Well I changed environmental variables TEMP and TMP from C:\TEMP, C:\TMP to D:TEMP, D:\TMP. I have done that because I use SSD drive for my system (C:) and didn't want that system write often some garbage on that drive. I still would like to preserve that behaviour. I have changed my user environmental variables TEMP, TMP and system environmental variables TEMP, TMP. What should I do with that then ? Can I fix that somehow and still have these environmental variables on my D: drive instead of C: drive ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Re-install Windows. And don't mess up with your system in ways that you can't recover from. Other than that, you could have done anything to your system that I cannot possibly know. I just shot in the dark with the temp directory (really!), and guess what? Bull's eye!

I can't possible imagine all the way that you've modified your system. You have to record, and be able to revert your changes if necessary. If you want to hack your system, by all means. But you'd better know how to unhack it...