[WorksForMe] Sudden multiple errors

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ray05450

[WorksForMe] Sudden multiple errors

Post by ray05450 »

I have used Virtual Box for years, and this particular set up for some months. Yesterday, when starting the guest system, produced the following error codes:
"NtCreateFile(\Device\VBoxDrvStub) failed: 0xc0000034"
"STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (0 RETRIES) (RC=-101)"
I found this solution:
Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv"
Right click on "VBoxDrv.inf" file and select Install option
Open the Console as a administrator and run the following command sc start vboxdrv

Immediately after the above error was fixed, these error codes appeared:
"Failed to open a session for the virtual machine"
"E_FAIL (0X80004005)"
MachineWrap
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad448cd89}

Next, I tried uninstalling Virtual Box, and manually uninstalling all its folders, then reinstalling--no change.
Next, I found that there was a slightly newer version. I again uninstalled, downloaded and installed the current newest version--no change.

I have not been able to find any solution to this 2nd error. Is there one? I also do not know why any of this suddenly happened.

Background information:
I have made no changes to this system between yesterday and today.
Guest additions were originally installed.
Host: Windows Vista 32 Guest: XP 32
I tried to attached the log file, but a message said "The file is too big".
Last edited by socratis on 7. Feb 2018, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sudden multiple errors

Post by socratis »

ray05450 wrote:Immediately after the above error was fixed, these error codes appeared:
That's all there was to the error? Nothing more?
ray05450 wrote:and manually uninstalling all its folders
You know that in Windows that's a really, really bad idea, right?
ray05450 wrote:I have made no changes to this system between yesterday and today.
But the system may have changed things for you, you don't know...
ray05450 wrote:I tried to attached the log file, but a message said "The file is too big".
Most probably because it's not ZIPPED. Try to ZIP it first...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

"That's all there was to the error? Nothing more?"
--The only thing else it says is that it terminated with exit code 1, but that is rather obvious.

"You know that in Windows that's a really, really bad idea, right?"
--No, it is not. It has solved a lot of problems, especially for Firefox. Please, reread and note that I said that I had already uninstalled it.

"But the system may have changed things for you, you don't know..."
--I didn't say anything about the system. I was stating what I did/didn't do.

"Most probably because it's not ZIPPED. Try to ZIP it first..."
--Okay, I have zipped it. It looks like it was accepted.

Thanks.
Attachments
log.zip
(9.95 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

Is there no solution? I cannot use Virtual Box anymore?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ray05450 wrote:No, it is not. It has solved a lot of problems, especially for Firefox.
Firefox doens't install kernel drivers last time I checked.
ray05450 wrote: Please, reread and note that I said that I had already uninstalled it.
If things are left behind when you're uninstalling a program, and you have to manually delete the remaining files, something is not right.

You have a bunch of:
954.a84: supR3HardNtViCallWinVerifyTrustCatFile: CryptCATAdminEnumCatalogFromHash failed ERRROR_NOT_FOUND (2388525639)
followed by a:
954.a84: Fatal error:
954.a84: Error loading 'crypt32.dll': 1790 [C:\Windows\system32\crypt32.dll]
Something is really gone bad in your Windows installation. Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas. I would definitely focus on the "sfc /scannow".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

"Firefox doesn't install kernel drivers last time I checked."
--Whether it does or not, it solves a lot of problems, and not only with Firefox.

"If things are left behind when you're uninstalling a program, and you have to manually delete the remaining files, something is not right."
--Maybe so with some. Most programs clean up after themselves completely, some do not.

I researched that error. All I found was a posting that suggests to do a system file check, and since doing so finds no problems for me, the posting also says that using certain types of softwares normally causes changes in Windows that are rejected by versions of Virtual Box after version 4.3.12:
https://superuser.com/questions/838777/ ... 0x80004005

Someone else responded that it is a "crappy feature" of Virtual Box.

Why has Virtual Box not been fixed?

Is there anything else I can do about it, other than use version 4.3.12?

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ray05450 wrote:I researched that error. All I found was a posting that suggests to do a system file check
You're pulling my leg, right? You're kidding! There's no other explanation why you would need to research something, for which I gave you an exact link, with all the answers you might have, including 1) why it's not VirtualBox's fault, 2) it's not crappy, it's safety, 3) it won't be "fixed", it is already fixed. You need to fix your system. Let me see if by toning up my previous message a little bit, you may notice it this time:
socratis wrote:Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas. I would definitely focus on the "sfc /scannow".
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

Thanks, but I don't think I agree with your statements because as far as your link, before my previous post, I had already tried and/or eliminated all but one of the items where it refers to a Windows forum, because that's where I am now. Since the post at your link is several months old, I did my own search in case of anything different and/or more recent and posted back what I found.

" I would definitely focus on the "sfc /scannow""
--I already did that. I said so in my previous post. I also tried it before my first post. (It is normal/no problems found.)
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

When your car won't start, and you think and think and try different things until you can't think of or try anything else, what do you do? Try starting it one last time.

When I did so, and instead of the previous error, received this one:
"Timed out after 2012 ms waiting for child request #0
(PurifyChildandCloseHandles).
(rc=258)

Please try reinstalling Virtualbox.

where supR3HardNtChildWaitFor what: 5 Unknown Status 258 (0x102) (258) -
Unknown Status 258"

Next, I tried reinstalling Virtualbox, as it says, and then received this error:
"Installation failed! Error: Fatal error during installation."

I noticed that it actually uninstalled instead of installing, so again, I deleted its leftovers, and reinstalled it for a 4th time, and it is working now.

In the item from the linked page you posted that says,
"Fully uninstall and then reinstall VirtualBox using "Run as administrator" to run the installer. Sometimes this replaces a corrupted DLL that was causing a problem, or changes the order that Windows calls on device drivers"
I would suggest adding, "Repeat 2 or 3 times, if necessary."
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Truth of the matter is that VirtualBox doesn't fail on unmodified systems. So when everything else fails keep the "re-install Windows" because OSes usually get botched, is still a last resort. You didn't have to get to that point.

Marking as [WorksForMe].
ray05450

Re: [WorksForMe] Sudden multiple errors

Post by ray05450 »

What do you mean by "unmodified"? Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Freshly installed.
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

Do you mean with no other software, such as a word processor...or, do you mean with no Windows updates...or, do you mean without both?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No other software outside of the latest updates. And even that, is pushing it ;)
And I'm not talking about software like Notepad++, I'm talking about things that cannot be run without an installer. And when they do, they are so invasive that you wouldn't think they were.

You'd never expect a "browser" to install one (Firefox), or two and more (Chrome) system services, would you? And the latter one actually breaking VirtualBox? No, you wouldn't. But it does. Or it did at least in the past...
ray05450

Post by ray05450 »

Okay, thanks for the information.

If it means anything, VB was working for months with the version that I have, and years with previous versions, and between the time that VB was working, and the time that it stopped working, I did not have anything new installed than I always had. Additionally, between the time that I could not get VB to work, and when it started working, I did not install or uninstall anything (except VB)...no software, no Windows updates...nothing changed as far as in/uninstalls.