[Solved] vt-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Help??

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
craiglogan

[Solved] vt-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Help??

Post by craiglogan »

Ok So i have just tried opening windows 8 32bit VM on a new laptop. It has intel Ceron N3060 processor.

i am pretty sure i have used another laptop with the processor before and it was fine. I tried following some stuff on google. They all told me to check in VT-x was enabled. I downloaded CPUID and confirmed it was enabled. WIth no advice if it was enabled.

Now my windows 7 VM is running fine, its just this windows 8 wont run. Is there anyway to resolve this?

I've attached a log in case it helps.

thanks in advance
Attachments
win 8 32-2018-01-17-12-42-38.log
(86.37 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2018, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vt-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Help??

Post by socratis »

craiglogan wrote:I downloaded CPUID and confirmed it was enabled.
No. What you did was to show that your CPU has that capability. Not that it's enabled, nor that it's available. It's not enabled:
00:00:06.344749 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craiglogan

Post by craiglogan »

Ahh. Thanks for the quick reply so i should enable it in the Bios correct?

Also why did win 7 VM run fine with it disabled?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Once you get past that there might be a couple of other gotchas waiting for you:
00:00:05.821417 Host RAM: 4001MB (3.9GB) total, 1206MB available
00:00:06.343472 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)

00:00:08.804804 CPUM: Logical host processors: 2 present, 2 max, 2 online, online mask: 0000000000000003
00:00:08.804808 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
Looks like you might be overcommitting resources to the guest (or I may be reading the log file wrong).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

craiglogan wrote:i should enable it in the Bios correct?
Yes.
craiglogan wrote:why did win 7 VM run fine with it disabled?
Because some VMs do not require VT-x. Some do. The Win ≥ 8 guests do require VT-x, even in real life.
andyp73 wrote:or I may be reading the log file wrong
Not wrong at all, spot on! Resources are scarce and on the limit of stressing out the host as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craiglogan

Post by craiglogan »

Many thanks. Yes i bumped up the guest to 2gb of 4gb just when i was trying to self diagnose the issue. I've turned it down a bit now. 4gb's not ideal for win8 but beggers can't be choosers lol

Thanks for the help all is working well now :)

On another note, when ever i've tried to use me intel created VM's on an AMD system i've got errors. Is there some settings i can change in my VM to make them work on AMD systems?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

craiglogan wrote:Thanks for the help all is working well now :)
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
craiglogan wrote:when ever i've tried to use me intel created VM's on an AMD system i've got errors
What errors exactly? There's nothing that should be changing if you move from an Intel to an AMD system. If you want to continue this, please open a new thread, with an appropriate title; one topic per thread.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] vt-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Help??

Post by mpack »

A CPU change is likely to cause activation issues with Win7+ guests I'd have thought. Not a problem, just reactivate - assuming the original installs are no longer to be used. Another potential source of errors are moving VMs between hosts while the VM is in a suspended state.