[Solved] Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bobby B

[Solved] Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Post by Bobby B »

Hi,

I have been trying to launch my Minix Virtual Image on the VirtualBox, but I continually get the Guru Meditation critical error upon booting up.

I have looked all over the internet and cannot for the life of me find out why this is happening. Suggestions of fixes to this problem that others have encountered have not worked for me. I was hoping someone here could help me out as I need this VM working sooner than later.

I have attached the log file to help give a better indication of what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(42.28 KiB) Downloaded 1592 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2018, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Post by mpack »

Try fixing this, see where it takes us :-
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:01.569499 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
Bobby B

Post by Bobby B »

This fixed it. Thanks a lot!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ismail

Re: [Solved] Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Post by Ismail »

Hello

I'm running Virtual Box 5.1.30 on windows 10. Suddenly from today's morning when start my Ubuntu image on VM, I got the meditation critical error. Log is attached. Everything was running properly till yesterday.
Please help

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.zip
(51.23 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please don't hijack other people's threads, especially if they're marked as [Solved]. A crash can be due to a lot of things. If in doubt, open a new thread, if you can't find one that fits your symptoms.

Your problem is that you're using an "ancient" VirtualBox version. If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. Download the latest VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 5.2.6. If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ismail

Post by Ismail »

Thanks ... actually I dont see the option to open a new thread.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just go to any (sub)board index, for example VirtualBox on Windows Hosts. On the top of the list there's a "NEWTOPIC" button, next to the "Search".
Niroo

Post by Niroo »

I have been trying to launch my debian Virtual Image on the VirtualBox, but I continually get the Guru Meditation critical error upon booting up.
please help
Attachments
selectorwindow.log
log
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Niroo, chant with me: "New Post, New Post, New Post...."
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The selector log (i.e. the log from the manager application) is useless for diagnosing errors in a VM. When you create your new topic for this, do please attach a zipped log from the VM. I.e. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip to your post.

I'm going to lock this topic since the title is too generic.