inaccessible boot device with 5.2.5-120181

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tentaurus

inaccessible boot device with 5.2.5-120181

Post by Tentaurus »

After Windows 10 Meltdown / Spectre patch I had to install VB test version 5.2.5-120181 - since the old release version fails.

Later the day I got the Windows message that a driver installation needs to reboot to finish. During the reboot I got the error message: inaccessible boot device. Repair doesn't help.
The only way to fix this was to start Windows with an older restore point (before the VB update).

Anyone else?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: inaccessible boot device with 5.2.5-120181

Post by socratis »

Tentaurus wrote:Later the day
How much "later"? Did you reboot in the mean time?
Tentaurus wrote:I got the Windows message that a driver installation needs to reboot to finish.
From your host or your guest? I don't even know what the guest is. What does the Event Viewer » System has to say about which driver needed an update?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tentaurus

Post by Tentaurus »

I didn't reboot immediately after VB update.
VB works well with Ubuntu guests.

After 1 hour or so I got the Windows message (host) to reboot.

I will now try the latest test version 5.2.7. Let's see if the issue will come up again.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Why always odd-numbered builds? Do you have an addiction to test builds?
Bill
Tentaurus

Post by Tentaurus »

BillG wrote:Why always odd-numbered builds? Do you have an addiction to test builds?
Yeah I love it! :D

No, I was adviced to install test version 5.2.5 because release 5.2.4 didn't run with the Windows 10 Meltdown / Spectre patch!

Today I saw version 5.2.7 and a little bit later 5.2.6 release. So of course I will install 5.2.6
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Tentaurus wrote:Today I saw version 5.2.7 and a little bit later 5.2.6 release. So of course I will install 5.2.6
Unless you're looking at the test builds, there is no 5.2.7 version out, the official release is 5.2.6 as of this writing.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.