windows 10 issues, loading Kali Linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Asha1980

windows 10 issues, loading Kali Linux

Post by Asha1980 »

Massive apologies if this has been answered or i'm in totally the wrong place for help with this. I loaded virtual box with no issues what so ever, my issue is when i'm loading Kali Linux on to it, i create the relevant disc space etc. Then when i choose my iso file i get the following message (which i will copy and paste below along with my laptop details).I've looked in the bios menu and i can't find anything that resembles anything i need to change. I hope i could get this resolved, as a newbie its irritating the hell out of me!!!

"AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}"

And my operating details are as follows;

Windows 10 Home
version 1703
os build 15063.850
processor AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) Hd Graphics 1.70GHz
system type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

hope some one can help!!

thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: windows 10 issues, loading Kali Linux

Post by mpack »

Read the following, which is about another symptom of the same problem, with the same solution.
FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Asha1980

Post by Asha1980 »

Cheers mpac I'll have a read through later when I'm at home by laptop, and fingers crossed I'll manage to sort it

Thanks again!!
Asha1980

Post by Asha1980 »

I tried the info on the list and whether it's just me being thick, I still can't seem to get it to work. Still getting same error message!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What have you tried/done? Exactly please...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Asha1980

Post by Asha1980 »

Again thank you with your reply. I will run through step by step this evening when I'm in front of my laptop.
I reckon I'm gonna be that one person that every sees a post from and thinks "Oh God not him again"

Cheers!!!
Asha1980

Post by Asha1980 »

Things I've tried for workstation,

For Windows 10:Press Windows keyType "Turn Windows features on or off"Deselect checkbox next to Hyper-VSelect OKSelect Restart now

From an elevated command prompt:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

to disable hypervisor, and:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

to reenable it (default value).

Of course it still requires restart.

Press Windows key + X and select Apps and Features.Scroll down to the bottom and click Programs and Features link.Then click the Turn Windows features on or off link on the left pane.
Locate Hyper-V option and unmark it.Click OK to save the changes and reboot.

Right-click on Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).Copy and paste the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. Press Enter.

Hit the Windows Key and type “windows features”Hit the Windows Key + W combo to bring up the Windows Settings panel of the Start Screen.Click on Turn Windows features on or off.When the Turn Windows features on or off dialog appears, look for Hyper-V and deselect it.Click OK.Restart your computer when prompted.

Still haven't managed to get it going also I get a package update notification, but when I update I no longer get a 64 bit option only 32 bit.

Sorry for being a pain

Many thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I didn't see any mentions about your computer's BIOS; did you go there and try to verify that AMD-V/VT-x (hardware virtualization, virtualization features, or similar) is enabled? If you switch that on, make sure that you pull the power cord for 10 seconds from your computer.

Also, look at other ideas in the "Other things to try" in the "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Asha1980

Post by Asha1980 »

I'll try the other links you've provided. Thank you.
I have gone into my bios menu and can't find any option regarding the AMD-VT.

Thanks for being so helpful!!
Asha1980

Post by Asha1980 »

Finally an end to the issue, looking on Toshiba's website it states that if I don't have an option in my bios then my machine doesn't support AMD V, So I think im going to either have to get a new machine or give up

Thanks for all the help anyway
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

According to online sources that I can see, the AMD E2-1800 does have AMD-V. Of course we have no way to know what features your laptop BIOS supports, but VMing is not new so I'd be surprised if your BIOS really has no option to enable hardware virtualization support.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Unfortunately there are many (mainly lower end) notebooks out there where the vender decided not to provide that feature.
I know of HP and Toshiba, but there are probably more.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

They restrict the features mainly due to different model pricing. So the hardware may be exactly the same (cutting down on manufacturing costs) but the purposely either slow it down or restrict what it can or can't do and they sell it as the less-feature sibling of their high-end model. I second Martin's opinion completely...