[Solved] VBbox Setup Wizard ended prematurely

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gravyking

[Solved] VBbox Setup Wizard ended prematurely

Post by gravyking »

Hate to post a general 'installation question' but couldn't seem to find any thread talking about this.
I did see some posts about Win 10 builds and Vbox distros that seem to work but here's my situation.

Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.98.

Tried to install Vbox 5.2.4 and the install just fails with Setup Wizard ended prematurely and rolls back the installation.
From some other post talking about builds that work with the Fall Creators update I tried and older build 5.1.18 but no better.
I am selecting 'run as Administrator' when I do the install but just wondering if my Windows Host OS is too new and a known issue.

Since the install cleans up after itself there didn't seem to be any logs files to look at either.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2018, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBbox Setup Wizard ended prematurely

Post by socratis »

First and foremost, let's clear up one thing; this is mainly a problem with the Windows installer, not VirtualBox. The most we can do as a first step is to give you some generic advice:
  • Uninstall the previous version before installing the new one. Reboot.
  • First uninstall, and if that doesn't work, uninstall all antivirus. Reboot.
  • See if you can fix the Windows installer database. Even Microsoft has some tools that can help with that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gravyking

Post by gravyking »

ok generic advise is a start and I'll try the suggestions you provided.
Is this covered under a sticky somewhere that I missed under a FAQ on general installation issues?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, it's not covered in a VirtualBox FAQ, maybe in a Microsoft one, but I haven't really checked to be honest, I'm mostly on OSX myself... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gravyking

Post by gravyking »

Well you were bang-on with the antivirus suggestion (I didn't uninstall it but rather just unloaded it) and then the installation proceeded to completion.
So thanks for not suggesting perhaps it doesn't need to be in a FAQ as troubleshooting 101 should be perhaps your AV software is not like seeing a program try to manipulate network settings :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not even a Microsoft FAQ would cover that, and I highly doubt that the antivirus vendor will have a FAQ that states:
If we screw up your other programs, uninstall ours. The action of removing our product will return your computer back to normal.
I just don't see it happening...

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].