Keyword not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mmoossen

Keyword not working

Post by mmoossen »

Hi everybody,
i am using Virtualbox 5.2.4 on a Windows7 Host with a SLES 11sp3 64-Bit Guest.
Everything worked for years fine.
And now suddenly the keyword on the Guest stopped working.
I had updated VBox from 5.2.2 to 5.2.4 few days ago, and without doing anything the keyword just stopped working, not a single keystroke gets to the GuestOS.
i tried reinstalling VBox 5.2.4, restarting the HostOS, restarting the GuestOS, even with RDP the keyword does not work.
any idea what to try next without to reinstall the GuestOs?

many thanks
Michael
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Keyword not working

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Plus, what's this mention about RDP? Are you remote-ing?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mmoossen

Re: Keyword not working

Post by mmoossen »

Many Thanks for your answer @socratis.
Plus, what's this mention about RDP? Are you remote-ing?
I normally don't, but i just tried it out...

i think i figured out what the problem is, i changed the keyword layout from de_de to us_intl via Yast.
the change worked fine till the next reboot, after that the keyword won't work any more.
to change the configuration back to the original values, did not help either, only going back to a previous snapshot did help.
the issue is reproducible. and i do not know if it is just caused by the OS or a combination of OS/VirtualBox, but i can leave with it, so i won't spend more time on it.

regards
Michael