View VMs on all user profiles in Windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Florin B

View VMs on all user profiles in Windows

Post by Florin B »

Hello everybody!

A month ago I begun experimenting with Oracle VirtualBox.

I have a computer running Windows 10 Pro 64bit on which I installed Oracle VirtualBox.

In VirtualBox I created 3 virtual machines all running Windows Xp.

The problem that I have is that the virtual machines are visible only to the Windows user that created them, if I logged on to the computer using a different user and open VirtualBox there are no virtual machines.

I want the virtual machines visible to all users logged on to that computer.
How can I do that?

Thanks for your help.

Florin
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: View VMs on all user profiles in Windows

Post by mpack »

That is correct. The VirtualBox manager only shows VMs registered by the current user. I.e. if you want this user to see a particular VM then register the VM (using Machine|Add...) in that users dashboard.

Of course, you can only register VMs which are accessible to the current user, which means that they should be moved outside of any one users private documents folder: Howto: move a VM.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: View VMs on all user profiles in Windows

Post by socratis »

And don't forget that you have to have Read/Write access to all the files and folders that belong to the VM. And that for security reasons, VirtualBox resets these to Owner:Read/Write and Everyone:NoAccess. So you will have to reset the permissions every time, if you have your VMs in a filesystem that supports permissions, such as your typical NTFS on a Win10 installation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.