[Solved] Booting into Linux (Debian) gets black screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
forricide

[Solved] Booting into Linux (Debian) gets black screen

Post by forricide »

Image: imgur 14oLr57

This is my third attempt at creating a Debian VM through virtualbox today. The system seems to be entirely unresponsive upon boot; pressing keys/etc doesn't accomplish anything.

Things I've tried:
- 4gb of ram has been allocated.
- Hardware virtualization is enabled (AMD-V)
- Using 1, 2, and 4 CPU cores
- 64mb video memory allocated
- Enabling 3D acceleration
And a variety of other things.

Log file: hastebin ohanoqataf.pl

Hardening log file: pastebin eGu3DjLM

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I've somewhat reached the end of my troubleshooting capabilities.

SOLUTION:

As far as I can tell, this appears to be a problem with installing Cinnamon as the desktop for Debian. I'm not sure if this is the case, but simply re-installing the full Debian iso using xfce this time (as opposed to Cinnamon) allowed for the VM to boot.
Last edited by forricide on 10. Jan 2018, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Booting into Linux (Debian) gets black screen

Post by socratis »

Please attach the images and logs locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
forricide

Re: Booting into Linux (Debian) gets black screen

Post by forricide »

socratis wrote:Please attach the images and logs locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.
Hi - thank you very much for your advice. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I was able to solve the problem, but due to a lack of space I already deleted the logs. I'll edit what worked for me into the original post.