VB 5.2.x crashes after clicking "new" button

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fjgh

VB 5.2.x crashes after clicking "new" button

Post by fjgh »

I tried to install Virtual Box on my win 7 pro OS computer. It would install, but when I clicked the "new" button to add an iso file, it crashed and would not work again. I got errors that VB crashed, closed and it wanted to go to internet sites to find the cause after I tried to restart it which didn't really work. I had to install ver. 5.1.30 and it worked but Linux Mint Cinn gets software acceleration rendering errors and warnings which I think may be related to using any older ver. of VB. I reinstalled 5.2.x versions multiple times with the same result.

Anybody with any ideas
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB 5.2.x crashes after clicking "new" button

Post by socratis »

Do you have any "namespaces" installed on your host? Namespaces are created from 3rd party applications, like Bluetooth phone interfaces, cameras, and other "helping" applications. They usually show up in the right side of the WindowsExplorer if using a tree view...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fjgh

Post by fjgh »

Take a look if I can figure out how to add a picture of all my apps. Ok. I had to cut it down to meet the forum pix size limits. Here is a screen shot of my apps.
Last edited by fjgh on 10. Jan 2018, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm on OSX, so I can't possibly know which of your installed applications might conflict. I would start with the not-so-well-known ones and see who's to blame. Start with the Antivirus and the DownloadManagers. Maybe someone else does know...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fjgh

Post by fjgh »

OK it's going to take some time. I am going to image this computer so I can put it back like it is now. That way I can chop it up and not have to put it back together piece by piece later.
fjgh

Post by fjgh »

I did not remove programs from the working drive. Instead, I imaged only win 7 and it's drivers onto a clean disk. This was easier than uninstalling programs. Unfortunately, I get the same crash with ver 5.2.4 with just win 7 and no apps on the new drive. I guess virtual box 5.2.x does not like win 7 pro.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If that was the case, you would not be the first to report it, I assure you! There are rather a lot of people running VirtualBox on windows 7 Pro and a lot of them will have been running version 5.2 for quite a while. Exactly what in your installation is causing this unusual problem will not be as simple as that.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fjgh wrote:Instead, I imaged only win 7 and it's drivers onto a clean disk.
I don't think I ever mentioned that the drive was "dirty". Your problem is with one of your installed apps. If you simply mirror your existing installation, I don't think your situation is going to change dramatically, or even at all...
fjgh wrote:I guess virtual box 5.2.x does not like win 7 pro.
Your data points for such a conclusion is far too limited. No useful results have ever been drawn on a single data-point study. Can't do that...
fjgh

Post by fjgh »

"Your problem is with one of your installed apps."

How can it be an app when the image I restored has NO apps on it. This is the clean image made originally when win 7 was installed. I image a new install along the way, sometimes with 10 to 15 images until all the apps are loaded. I am not going to stay here and be attacked. If VB crashes when all there is on a drive is Win 7 and mobo drivers, there is a problem and it's not on my apps which are not there.

I'm done. I spent 3 hours testing your software because I had a DVD failure and had to fix it before I could use the imaging software on disk. Attack someone else. Your software does not work on win 7 and AsRock drivers. I proved it even if you won't believe it.

Don't make replies to me here because I'm gone.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fjgh wrote:I imaged only win 7 and it's drivers onto a clean disk. This was easier than uninstalling programs.
fjgh wrote:the image I restored has NO apps on it.
No comment...
fjgh wrote:there is a problem and it's not on my apps which are not there.
I couldn't agree with you more...
fjgh wrote: I am not going to stay here and be attacked.
Seriously? For real? Oh, you need support for sure, it's just that this site is not specialized in that kind of support.

Since you feel attacked, and you want to be gone, just say the word; I'll let you be, permanently. If you ever adjust your sensitivity meter, please feel free to ask again, but not with that defensive attitude; it's not helping.