Sound not working on VB 5.2.x (#17308)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fjgh

Sound not working on VB 5.2.x (#17308)

Post by fjgh »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17308: DirectSound audio driver fails to initialize (Windows XP Pro x64 Host)]
Computer: I7 920
OS: XP All drivers are latest issue. Audio comes from an add on pci board since Asus model MB has no onboard audio. Audio board is an Nvidia.
Guest OS: Any Linux
VB ver: 5.2.x

Any source audio on XP works from XP app.

I can't get any sound from any guest OS on any version of VB 5.2.x. I did get sound on 5.1.x. When I start any Linux (Mint, Ubuntu), VB gives error in box that says: "host audio backend initiation has failed. selecting the null audio backend with consequence that no sound is audible. Error id: hostaudionotresponding"

I reloaded a few versions of 5.1.x and got sound but I got problems loading new Linux versions like Mint 18.3 and Ubuntu Mate 17.04.

Any fixes that are obvious?
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jan 2018, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sound not working on VB 5.2.x

Post by socratis »

fjgh wrote:OS: XP
fjgh wrote:VB ver: 5.2.x
Windows XP as a host is not supported since the 4.3.x days. So, if it works, fine. If it doesn't work, they're not going to spend any time fixing it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fjgh

Post by fjgh »

Does VB 5.2.4 (which I think is the latest version of VB) fully support Win 7 host OS? On the download pages for older VB versions, they list which Linux versions are supported but they don't say which windows versions they support???? Is it generally true that VB versions support more older guest OSes and not more host OSes?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fjgh wrote: Is it generally true that VB versions support more older guest OSes and not more host OSes?
Yes, that's why you still get templates for DOS, Win3.1, etc.
fjgh wrote:On the download pages for older VB versions, they list which Linux versions are supported but they don't say which windows versions they support????
You can find that information in the User Manual, 1.4. Supported host operating systems.

Having said that, I just saw ticket #17308: DirectSound audio driver fails to initialize (Windows XP Pro x64 Host), in which it seems that the issue has been addressed, and that the fix might be coming in in the next 5.2.x maintenance release. I'll add the ticket to the title of the thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fjgh

Re: Sound not working on VB 5.2.x (#17308)

Post by fjgh »

I just installed VB 5.2.4 onto Win 7. It installed, but when I tried to open it to install Mint, VB crashed. I removed it and installed again and it crashed again. VB said the app stopped working??? This should not be this hard. I installed VB on XP and got Linux to mostly work without this much trouble.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Sound not working on VB 5.2.x (#17308)

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid this has nothing to do with the title or the meaning of this thread so far. If you have a non-audio issue, with a host that is not WinXP, then you should open a new thread. With a VBox.log included. ZIPPED.