[Solved] Bridged networking not working... sort of

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Djago

[Solved] Bridged networking not working... sort of

Post by Djago »

Hi!

I've seen some threads about this topic but there are some differences, so I would like to state my actual setup and what I've discovered.
I had 5.1.xx (don't remember the version) running and at some point Bridged stop working. It wasn't big deal, so I've changed to NAT and continue working with VBox. Now I have 5.2.4r119785 QT 5.6.2 and I need to do some research on MikroTik CHR, so I need bridged networking to work.
My host has evolved in time (when it worked, long time ago, it was W10 first or second version, I can't remember), but I actually have W10x64 1709 Build 16299.192 fully patched.
Guest is not important because the bug affects any OS that I've put into. Actually, I'm testing with a good ol' WinXP SP3.
The net card is a TP-Link TL-WN881ND (Atheros AR9287 based).
Also, I'd like to state that I'm using a Gargoyle (1.10) based router. And I'm stating it because the guest gets an IP but doesn't go beyond the router. I even can connect to the router's GUI without problem with the IP, but can't go any further. Can't ping (destination host unreachable), can't browse,...

Any clues?
Last edited by socratis on 11. Jan 2018, 23:50, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Bridged networking not working... sort of

Post by BillG »

If the guest gets an IP from your router and can connect to the router it is hard to see how the problem has anything much to do with VirtualBox. All that the VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Adapter does is allow the virtual machine to share the host's physical NIC. In essence it is simply a filter driver which, working with the device driver in the host OS, forwards packets addressed to the host to its IP stack and redirects packets addressed to the guest to its IP stack. That must be working (up to a point) for it to get an IP and see the router.

If we rule out the router (which I think we can if the host works properly) that only leaves the Windows 10 device driver for the TP-Link. I have seen cases in the past where a particular device driver does not work well with the VirtualBox filter driver. Sometimes it affects the guest, sometimes the guest is fine but it blocks the host traffic!

As you have probably noticed in this forum the situation is even worse with wireless NIC drivers. The success rate is worryingly low. All I can suggest is trying a different NIC driver (if available) or trying a different NIC, perhaps a USB NIC (so that you don't need to open the case).

All I can tell you for certain is that bridged networking works fine on all my machines (Realtek, Broadcom and even my Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi) with VirtualBox 5.2.4 on Windows 10 build 16299.192 .
Bill
Djago

Post by Djago »

I've tried with a different router (MikroTik) and with this setup Bridged works OK
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Could you please go to Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience? Thanks...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.