Loading GNS3 2.1.1 VM into VirtualBox leads to error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wakatana

Loading GNS3 2.1.1 VM into VirtualBox leads to error

Post by wakatana »

Hello I'm trying to run GNS3.VM.VirtualBox.2.1.1.zip Importing appliance worked fine. But when I want to start imported appliance (GNS3 VM) I got following error:
Could not start the machine GNS3 VM because the following physical network interfaces were not found:
vboxnet0 (adapter 1)
You can either change the machine's network settings or stop the machine.
1.png
1.png (58.1 KiB) Viewed 11194 times
I have found this question which deals with similar problem. Which recommends to change

"VM Settings > Network > Adapter 1 > Name" to "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter". But the only option which I have is "Not selected"
3.png
3.png (88.67 KiB) Viewed 11194 times

I have also tried to create new network vboxnet0 under "File -> Preferences -> Network -> Host-Only networks" but I got
Failed to create host network interface
error
2.png
2.png (94.18 KiB) Viewed 11194 times

Here is ovf configuration pulled from ova so you do not need to download whole image

What I'm doing wrong?

My host configuration:
Windows 10
VirtualBox 5.1
Last edited by wakatana on 13. Jan 2018, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Loading GNS3 2.1.1 VM into VirtualBox leads to error

Post by BillG »

Rather than the meaningless screenshots, could you post the settings of the Network section of the vm. What NICs are enabled? What are these attached to?

Also check the Display section and make sure the video memory is set to 128 (as suggested in the other thread you replied to).

While you are in Settings, check to see if you have an Invalid Settings warning at the bottom of the screen. (The other poster did). If you do, click on it and follow the instructions to fix it. It should then run (see screenshot below).
GNS3.PNG
Bill
wakatana

Post by wakatana »

Thanks for your suggestion, I've completely missed 128MB video memory problem. Somehow I've successfully started the VM. Here are taken steps:
1. Created host only network under File > Preferences > Network > Host-Only Networks (previously it was not possible for whatever reasons)
2. Increased video memory to 128 MB

For whatever reasons I got Failed to save the settings error when I clicked to save created network adapter but seems that despite this error it was saved (screenshot).
1.png
1.png (97.14 KiB) Viewed 11193 times
Now under virtual machine settings I do not see any Invalid Settings. But when I check File > Preferences > Network > Host-Only Networks I still see Invalid Settings regardless DHCP (screenshot)
2.png
2.png (96.6 KiB) Viewed 11193 times
despite I have configured DHCP
(screenshot1 and screenshot2).
3.png
3.png (43.88 KiB) Viewed 11193 times
Here is current output of VBoxManage.exe showvminfo "GNS3 VM"

1. Why I'm still getting those DHCP errors, and are they affecting correct VM functionality?
2. Is it possible to obtain Invalid settings e.g. from command line or are screenshots only way?
3. What are some reasons that prevent to create and save network adapters?
4. Is there anything else I can provide?
5. How can I post images on VirtualBox forum?

Thank you
Last edited by wakatana on 13. Jan 2018, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

You post images by using the Upload attachment tab at the bottom of the Post a reply window.

You have shown us what the DHCP server is set to. What does the host only NIC in the guest have for an IP?

Do you actually need the host only adapter in the guest? If you don't, just set it to Not connected or clear the checkbox from Enable Network Adapter .
Bill
wakatana

Post by wakatana »

BillG wrote:You post images by using the Upload attachment tab at the bottom of the Post a reply window.
Thanks
BillG wrote:You have shown us what the DHCP server is set to. What does the host only NIC in the guest have for an IP?
How do I check this? In VirtualBox > GNS3 > Settings > Network I cannot see any IP address. If I start virtual guest machine and type ifconfg I got:

Code: Select all

docker0 127.17.0.1
eth0 10.0.2.15
lo 127.0.0.1
qemu0 172.16.0.1
virbr 192.168.122.1
PS: I've tried also VBoxManage list -l dhcpservers and get following result:

NetworkName:    HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
IP:             192.168.56.100
NetworkMask:    255.255.255.0
lowerIPAddress: 192.168.56.101
upperIPAddress: 192.168.56.254
Enabled:        Yes

NetworkName:    HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #3
IP:             0.0.0.0
NetworkMask:    0.0.0.0
lowerIPAddress: 0.0.0.0
upperIPAddress: 0.0.0.0
which I guess is in contradiction to what is displayed in VirtualBox GUI under File > Preferences > Network > Host-only Networks
BillG wrote:Do you actually need the host only adapter in the guest? If you don't, just set it to Not connected or clear the checkbox from Enable Network Adapter .
I guess yes, this virtual machine will be further used by another program called GNS3. I would not touch network settings of VM If the OVA I've downloaded worked out of the box.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

There is nothing confusing about the DHCP servers list. You have two host only adapter networks - the standard one with IP address 192.168.156.1 and a second one which has not been configured. The first one is configured by default. Did you try to create a second one? Each will have a corresponding host only interface on the host machine which you can see from Windows. Mine has the default 192.168.56.1 .

I know nothing about what happens inside the vm. I can tell you that the eth0 10.0.2.15 probably indicates that you have one NIC of the vm set to NAT.

What I can tell you is that this can be done. I suggest that you learn a bit about how networking in VirtualBox works and a bit about what networks GNS3 needs and how it uses them, then start again.
HostOnly.PNG
Bill
wakatana

Post by wakatana »

Thanks for reply
BillG wrote:There is nothing confusing about the DHCP servers list. You have two host only adapter networks - the standard one with IP address 192.168.156.1 and a second one which has not been configured.
No I do not have default network with interface 192.168.156.1 nor 192.168.56.1.
2018-01-12.png
2018-01-12.png (47.37 KiB) Viewed 11193 times
I guess GUI and console is in contradiction because when I checked
File > Preferences > Network > Host-only Networks > HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #3 > DHCP server I got:

Server Address: 192.168.208.0
Server Mask: 255.255.255.0
Lower Address: Bound 192.168.208.0
Upper Address: Bound 192.168.208.0
but VBoxManage list -l dhcpservers showed:

NetworkName:    HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #3
IP:             0.0.0.0
NetworkMask:    0.0.0.0
lowerIPAddress: 0.0.0.0
upperIPAddress: 0.0.0.0
BillG wrote: The first one is configured by default. Did you try to create a second one? Each will have a corresponding host only interface on the host machine which you can see from Windows. Mine has the default 192.168.56.1 .
I guess it was created when I've created host only network under File > Preferences > Network > Host-Only Networks
If I understand you correct then it is possible to have several adapters shown under windows networking but guest can see only those which are connected to it?
BillG wrote: I know nothing about what happens inside the vm. I can tell you that the eth0 10.0.2.15 probably indicates that you have one NIC of the vm set to NAT.
I have enabled only one adapter - all others are disabled
2018-01-12 (1).png
2018-01-12 (1).png (68.44 KiB) Viewed 11193 times
BillG wrote: What I can tell you is that this can be done. I suggest that you learn a bit about how networking in VirtualBox works and a bit about what networks GNS3 needs and how it uses them, then start again.
Are there some good resources about VirtualBox networking?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For future reference, next time please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least), or simply change the DPI to 72 from 144. Not everyone is blessed with a HiDPI display ;)
wakatana wrote:Are there some good resources about VirtualBox networking?
Have you tried the user manual, ch. 6?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

You only need the host only adapter if that is the only way you can connect the host and guest, and you want to connect to the guest using ssh from the host. That is the default option.

If you can use bridged, you can ssh using that.
GNS3.PNG
Bill