how to enable wifi on virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Re: how to enable wifi on virtualbox

Postby scottgus1 » 17. Jul 2020, 23:59

bluephoenix71 wrote:install an ubuntu 64bit VM in VB and make it work using WIFI and not need to connect to the wired network

To have a Wifi adapter in the guest OS you need to follow this advice above: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85927#p409218 here in the topic you necro-posted on but evidently did not read through first.

bluephoenix71 wrote:How come it's so hard to install an Ubuntu VM in my windows laptop?

It isn't. I have done it many times. This question needs a new topic. Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: how to enable wifi on virtualbox

Postby mpack » 18. Jul 2020, 10:39

Connecting to the Internet via a secondary host WiFi (Q1), and having the whatever network connection emulate as a WiFi connection inside the guest (Q2) - those are two separate and unrelated questions, and I'm not at all sure which one you are asking.

Given that the guest is Ubuntu it probably doesn't care about the nature of the connection, so if you're asking Q1 then perhaps check out if Bridged Networking will work for you (details in user manual). If your question is Q2 then see Scott's reply.

If WiFi is the primary network connection on your host then I'd want to know why NAT is unsuitable, and why you think a VM needs to emulate the same hardware as the host.

VirtualBox does not offer an emulated WiFi connection.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Previous

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts