[Solved] Installation fails because it cannot delete tempory files

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
davewho

[Solved] Installation fails because it cannot delete tempory files

Post by davewho »

My extensions stopped working (USB). VirtualBox was upgraded the day before which solved a USB on my Ubuntu VM. The next day Windows 10 upgraded. The USB connections then failed on three of my VMs (Win7-x86, Win7-amd64 and Ubuntu-16LTS). I tried to downgrade the VirtualBox, thinking that was the problem, but the installation failed because the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle\VirtualBox did not have an owner or permissions. It could not delete the folder, even with PowerShell with administrator rights. The only way to delete it was to restart the PC and then use PowerShell. Any further attempts to install VirtualBox recreated this folder, without an owner or permissions. I was able to install VirtualBox by disabling the Start Menu feature. Now, I cannot install the VirtualBox extensions for the same reason. Here is the error.
Failed to install the Extension Pack C:/Users/davew/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.30-118389.vbox-extpack.
The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the temporary directory to the final one: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-_-inst-19056' -> 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack')
VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to delete the temporary extension pack directory: VERR_DIR_NOT_EMPTY ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-_-inst-19056')
rcExit=1.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
Several folders under C:\ProgramData\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks were created without an owner and without permissions. Restarting and deleting these folders does not solve the problem because these same folders are created every time. The same is true for every folder listed below.
folderErrors.PNG
folderErrors.PNG (20.57 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
folderErrors.PNG
folderErrors.PNG (20.57 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Before these upgrades, I have installed and upgraded several versions of VirtualBox and ExtensionPacks that actual worked. Now, I cannot install any extension pack.

On advice from Microsoft, I restored my PC to the point before the upgrades. I got my old VirtualBox back, but the extension pack was the wrong version. tried to install the right extension pack. The wrong version was deleted. The correct version did not install, instead it created the same extension folders without owners or permissions. Usually, after a PC restart, these folders vanish. It is like they are being deleted but cannot complete the operation.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
folderErrors2.PNG
folderErrors2.PNG (19.48 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Dec 2017, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation fails because it cannot delete tempory files

Post by socratis »

If you have an antivirus other than the one that comes with Windows, uninstall it completely and reboot your system.
davewho wrote:On advice from Microsoft, I restored my PC to the point before the upgrades.
My advice would be to re-install Windows. It seems that somehow your permissions might be really screwed, something that's not easily fixable...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davewho

Post by davewho »

socratis, your instincts were spot on. After my system administrator disabled the antivirus software, the Extension Pack loaded. Thanks for your insight.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

davewho wrote:After my system administrator disabled the antivirus software, the Extension Pack loaded.
Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.