Virtual box Kills wifi on windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
guimmer

Virtual box Kills wifi on windows 10

Post by guimmer »

At work we have just reveived a new laptop for industrial (PLC) programing use. We want to use virtual box to separate all the programing environments from each other.

After installing virtualbox and doing a shut down the wifi adapter no longer connects. You can scan for networks however as soon as the network is selected the wifi goes back to disconnected. Wired connection works fine When Virtual box is uninstalled everything is back to normal. We tried installing using administrator settings but there was no change.

Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual box Kills wifi on windows 10

Post by socratis »

Is this a USB WiFi adapter? I don't think that this is something that affects a lot of people, if any. So, what is so special about your setup? And please think in terms of all the software that you might have installed on that computer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
guimmer

Post by guimmer »

The affected networ adapter is the built in wifi card.
The Laptop has a few things installed but none affect the wifi connectivity.
Immediately after virtualbox is uninstalled the wifi card returns to proper function.

We reinstalled virtualbox with admin mode and after a power cycle the wifi stopped working again.

I am sure this is something uncommon but we are at a loss as far as what it could be.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

guimmer wrote:The Laptop has a few things installed but none affect the wifi connectivity.
I didn't say anything about the WiFi card, on purpose. What are the "a few things"? Do they include antivirus, system protection, software monitoring, enterprise templates, group policy enforcers? Anything else?

BTW, the admin-mode that you describe, I'll assume that it means that you right-clicked on the installer, "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. If you didn't do that, please do. You do not have to run VirtualBox as administrator, just to install it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
guimmer

Post by guimmer »

We found that Eset is installed and I heard that it does not play well with VirtualBox
We will request that it is removed and see how it goes from there
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great. Please let us know how it ends up...