Mac adress

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Stranek

Mac adress

Post by Stranek »

Hello when i create new mac adress some1 can look is virtual box or it look like normal computer ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mac adress

Post by mpack »

There is no easy way for a remote site to know it's dealing with a VM. However it has no access to your MAC address in any event (the MAC is only used for local, Ethernet level comms). OTOH all PCs on your local network will appear to have the same IP address, so while they don't know it's a VM, they do know it's all one location.
Stranek

Post by Stranek »

I changed my ip adress with lte internets.
i create new machine ->new mac adress so how he can look the same adress ip ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The MAC address has absolutely nothing to do with your IP address. Please read the Wikipedia article on MAC addresses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address , it's available in multiple languages...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stranek

Post by Stranek »

I know but u say some1 can look the same adress ip from local machine.
How when i create new machine with new mac adress card and have new ip from my provider how some1 can look its the same person ?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Like your question about NAT, this has very little to do with VirtualBox. Exactly the same thing would happen with a physical machine.
Bill
Stranek

Re: What i need to working faster?

Post by Stranek »

So , i create new machine/new adress ip from lte with new mac adress and someone from advertising network can look it is the same person ?
How ? Can u explain it ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Stranek,
I moved your last post from the "What i need to working faster?" thread. I think you mixed up the threads...

You have to understand: IP address is not the same as MAC address. Here are two Wikipedia articles in Polski: MAC address and IP address. Read them...

We can explain basic terminology here, if it helps with VirtualBox. For more in-depth information, you have to read the Wikipedia articles...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stranek

Post by Stranek »

Sorry for my english and thanks for help anyway.
But i dont understand.

I change mac adress and i change ip adress and how someone can look the same ip ?
From where :D ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Your Public IP, the one that you connect to the network, is the one that your ISP give you, the telephone company. Your Private IP is just for your home, not the world. Read another article from Wikipedia about Network Address Translation, in Polish as well.
Stranek

Post by Stranek »

Thanks
But this local ip is only for me not for all ?
Someone can check my local ip from virtual machine ? I changed mac adress in new machine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

With "MAC this" and "IP that", we're going nowhere. I have no clue what your question is. As I said, ask the question in detail. Use the translator, or ask a friend for help. But, I will need to see some IPs and some MACs. If you want this discussion to continue...
Stranek

MAC adress question

Post by Stranek »

Hello

I see option to change macadress.
However, the beginning does not change.
There is an option to change the beginning of eg on C6 or C4.
I can see that the 2nd character must be even, but if I change to A or B in the front it does not work, you can make some plugin or something to change macadres more?
Is any option to use my own macadress?
Why second case must be even ?
1.Is any option to use my own macadress ?

2.Is any option to hide my local IP adress ?
In page like whatismybrowser.com i can look my local IP how can i change this IP ?
All machines have the same local adres ip ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I merged your post with your previous posts. Nothing has changed. Do not start posting duplicates, it makes it more difficult. The next one will be merged with /dev/null...

The answers remain the same. Your MAC address is not seen in the world. If you want to change your IP, this has nothing to do with the MAC address. Start reading. Ask a friend to explain it to you. Search for "the basics of networking" or a "lesson on networking". Preferably in Polish...
Stranek

Post by Stranek »

Ok my mac is not visible in the world.
Thx.

Next question is how can i change my local ip adress i see in whatismybrowser.com local adres IP.
The same for all machines i can change it ?
Advertiser can look my local IP when i click in him ads or can look only ip from my internet provider ?

thanks for ur calm
Last edited by Stranek on 19. Jan 2018, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.