Win 7 - changing number of cores - causes bluescreen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Barny.G

Win 7 - changing number of cores - causes bluescreen

Post by Barny.G »

Hi all,

if I change the number if cores in my VM, the system will start and after a while it causes a bluescreen. But step by step...

1) from a running Win7-system (4 cores) I constructed with the help of "VMware vCenter Converter" a .vmdk-file
2) With the "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager" I set tihs file in a windows VM and started it.
3) it seems all right and the VM runs without any error.

Now I tried to change the numer of cores to 2 (it was 1 before) and started the VM again. At the beginning all seems ok, but with the upcoming of the loginscreen the system was halted and the bluescreen comes up.

Remarks: The real computer, who is runnig the VirtualBox (and the VM) is a 4 core one. The system is Win10.

What can I do to avoid this problem? What do you need to know more about the VM or the real Hardware to be able to help me?

Thank you in advance!

Barny
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win 7 - changing number of cores - causes bluescreen

Post by socratis »

Barny.G wrote:1) from a running Win7-system (4 cores) I constructed with the help of "VMware vCenter Converter" a .vmdk-file
I'm not sure how that converter works. We (in the VirtualBox community) prefer the Disk2VHD from Microsoft. Then you convert the VHD to VDI (for compatibility reasons) and build the VM around that. BTW, there were no VMWare tools installed in that VMDK, were there?
Barny.G wrote:What do you need to know more about the VM or the real Hardware to be able to help me?
A desciption of your old hardware would be a good start. But what would really help us would be to start the VM (not from paused or saved state) and wait for it to crash and burn. Then right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Barny.G

Post by Barny.G »

A desciption of your old hardware would be a good start.
Yes. That is an (older) laptop with an 64bit Win7 installation. It has an 256GB SSD.
But what would really help us would be to start the VM (not from paused or saved state) and wait for it to crash and burn.
The file is uploaded. I have to do one remark - the blue-screen-machine starts over several times and I ended it up with the selection "save an close" (or so).

What can you see in this logfile? :)

update: logfile removed...
Last edited by Barny.G on 19. Dec 2017, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Barny.G

Post by Barny.G »

Hi there,

some days are over and I got nearly none response. Does really nobody has any idea? :?

Please...

Barny
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.30 r118389 win.amd64 (Oct 16 2017 10:47:00) release log
You're on the latest Windows 10. You most probably need to keep up with VirtualBox and install the latest one as well, which is 5.2.2 as of this writing...
00:00:02.421479 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. And then re-install the Guest Additions (GAs).
00:00:02.308697 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:01.575762 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
You have assigned more CPUs to the VM than you actually have. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors, not logical ones.
00:00:01.575832 Path <string> = "C:\Users\s.malecki\Documents\Win7\Win7_VMwst.vmdk" (cb=50)
The name and type of the hard drive indicates that you are still using the VMWare converter, your didn't try the Disk2VHD, right?
00:00:01.580022 CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0x6/0x9e/0x9 Intel_Atom_Unknown with CPU DB entry 'Intel Pentium N3530 2.16GHz' (INTEL 0x6/0x37/0x8 Intel_Atom_Silvermont)
00:00:02.308906 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz"
I don't like these lines here. There's nothing you can do about it (for the moment), I'm simply putting the line here for the search engines, not you.

Finally, you had about 10 resets of the VM. Any reason? Just to make my life more difficult? :D
socratis wrote:A desciption of your old hardware would be a good start.
Barny.G wrote:Yes. That is an (older) laptop with an 64bit Win7 installation. It has an 256GB SSD.
That's not even close to describing your old hardware. Can you please try again with details about the CPU, RAM, vRAM, GPU, etc?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.