Virus Virtualbox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Hedrok

Virus Virtualbox?

Post by Hedrok »

In the past I hadn't have this kind of issue. But since then about a week ago the following issue started: I permanently get the message whenever I want to download the virtualbox 5.2 software a website that tells me the connection is insecure. That didn't occur in the past and I've used the same browser as always.

I took a screenshot (attachment)

Now, is this website compromised or is there anyone that has implemented a virus in the software? When I use another browser the problem does not occur. But I want to make sure this software/website doesn't contain any virus or malware. So I did not download virtualbox since this warning occur.
Attachments
virt.png
virt.png (33.28 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Hedrok

Re: Virus Virtualbox?

Post by Hedrok »

up
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Bumping us for a network support question won't do much good. We're VirtualBox users here, not your general IT support staff. Plus I'm not seeing a similar problem, so I'd suggest you look to your own browser software support.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hedrok wrote:In the past I hadn't have this kind of issue.
Yes you did, you always had. You're trying to access "download.virtualbox.org" over HTTPS and the certicicate points to Akamai. It always was like that and nothing has changed.

If you want to access directly the downloads section, 1) do it using HTTP, or 2) follow the links in the "www.virtualbox.org" site, which should point you to the right direction. If a link is broken, please post the exact page where you found the broken link. But do not manually enter an HTTPS address and think that everything works.

And please, do NOT get confused or confuse/scare other people. An invalid security certificate has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with a virus. Please choose your titles more carefully in the future...

PS. You never bump a thread 3 hours after your last post. A week, maybe. 3 hours? Never ever...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mfergu7392

Post by mfergu7392 »

I am new to this forum and product - I am having issues and have tried to use Chrome and IE to download the VirtualBox product. I have tried to enter the address for the downloads directly and have navigated to the download page through the main page. I keep getting this error:

This site is not secure...

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page
Details
The hostname in the website’s security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit.
Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID
i am not technical and maybe there is a way to do this some other way that I am not aware of.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Why are you reporting Chrome bugs here? This is not a Chrome support site. We know there can be nothing wrong with the certificate on the download link because, as Socratis points out, it is not a secured page (i.e. the link is http, not httpS). If you are manually typing https then stop. If Chrome is reporting certificate problems for an uncertified link then use another browser.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Actually, it's not a Chrome bug or any other browser bug, they behave correctly because the user points to site "downloads.virtualbox.org" and the certificate comes from the Akamai domain. Which is fine,

as long as the user doesn't try to manually enter an address/protocol that's not there!

Should probably lock this one with a resolution of PEBKAC...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, I'm closing as invalid / wontfix.