Fail to run Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dmpotap

Fail to run Windows 10

Post by dmpotap »

I have the virtual hard disk *.vdi with Windows 10 which works on others PC with VirtualBox 5.2.2. When i trying to start it on my PC there is failed to start with the error: "The virtual machine 'win10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in '.....'."
None of "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" didn`t help. The previous versions (5.0.30, 5.1.16, 5.0.40) have the same error. It`s looks similiar with the Ticket#15296
Help please. I have no idea what else can be wrong
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(7.07 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Fail to run Windows 10

Post by mpack »

The log for the VBoxSVC process is not useful to us I'm afraid.

What we need is the VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.

You should also read the hardening FAQ.
dmpotap

Post by dmpotap »

Attached the "VBoxHardening.log".
Of course first of all i read "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" and tried all the mentioned things. But it didn`t help. Also i can`t find the DLL that could caused the problem
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(23.15 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please outline the steps from the FAQ which you tried, and the result.
dmpotap

Post by dmpotap »

mpack wrote:Please outline the steps from the FAQ which you tried, and the result.
First i tried to find a mention of corrupted DLL in the log-file. Also tried to start in headless mode.
Disable your real-time antivirus, at least temporarily, to test whether this is conflicting with VirtualBox. On Windows 10 hosts the Windows Defender AV is designed by people who know how to write low level code for Windows without fighting it or breaking it. It does not conflict with VirtualBox. You would perhaps be wise to stick to that.Expanding on the previous point, some antivirus don't provide an effective "disable" function. To be absolutely sure it won't interfere you have to uninstall it completely and the reboot your host PC.
Done. And on the another few PC in workgroup with the same antivirus the same virtual hard disk works correct.
Make sure Hyper-v is disabled. Modern VirtualBox VMs usually can't run if Hyper-v is hogging the hardware resources required for virtualization. This may present itself first as a hardening error, so it's worth checking.
Virtualization is enabled in BIOS, but Hyper-v is disabled
Fully power down and then restart your host. Sometimes this shakes something loose.Fully uninstall and then reinstall VirtualBox using "Run as administrator" to run the installer. Sometimes this replaces a corrupted DLL that was causing a problem, or changes the order that Windows calls on device drivers.
Done numerous times. Also tried with previos versions of VirtualBox as i wrote
Also tried to creat VM with the new virtual hard drive
Result is all the same error when i try to start Windows.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, the only advice I can give is that you get the 0xC0000005 crash, meaning the cause is a bad memory access. But, the hardening log is very short, implying that it's something fundamental or universal which failed. I see no mention of a DLL getting kicked out, which may imply that it's a VirtualBox DLL which faults.

I.e. AV is what usually fits the above bill.

I'd be more convinced that it wasn't AV related if you provided a log showing no AV (0 items in "Adversaries" list in the log) and yet a continuing problem.

It would also be useful if you zipped up and attached a VM log, to see if any can cast any more light. I expect not, as a VM which terminates this early usually hasn't written much to the main log.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

From the "VBoxSVC.log":
VirtualBox COM Server 5.2.3 r119620
and from the "VBoxHardening.log":
1798.1c30: Log file opened: 5.0.40r115130
Could you explain the above discrepancy please? Also, from the "VBoxHardening.log" I see several references to Kaspersky files:
1798.1c30: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\kl1.sys:
1798.1c30: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\klflt.sys:
1798.1c30: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\klif.sys:
1798.1c30: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\klim6.sys:
1798.1c30: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\kneps.sys:
Please uninstall Kaspersky and reboot your system.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dmpotap

Post by dmpotap »

Sorry for silence...
Could you explain the above discrepancy please? Also, from the "VBoxHardening.log" I see several references to Kaspersky files
Yes, it's really different logs from different versions of VirtualBox because i tried to start with different builds and different configuration and didn`t bother myself to save all the logs accurate. But every time the result was the same so i thought that the logs must be the same.
Anyway i attached the fresh logs written while the AV Kaspersky unloaded from the memory. Unfortunately there wasn't 0 items in "Adversaries". But I can`t fully uninstall Kaspersky because it's workstation and it's forbidden by local policy. And there are no problems with the same workstations witn the same AV. It's discourages me...

Thanks fo helping
Attachments
win190-2017-12-21-12-32-37.log
(23.32 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
VBoxSVC.log
(5.61 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
VBoxHardening.log
(23.01 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

dmpotap wrote:Yes, it's really different logs from different versions of VirtualBox because i tried to start with different builds and different configuration and didn`t bother myself to save all the logs accurate.
When I'm asking for a log, I don't want to see a random log, from a random run, with random settings. I want to see a log from when the problem actually shows up in the logs.
dmpotap wrote:Anyway i attached the fresh logs written while the AV Kaspersky unloaded from the memory.
I believe that the instructions called for an uninstall, not an unload. Anyway, from the VBoxHardening.log:
3ff0.1ce8:     ProductName:     Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Kaspersky is still active.

PS. You can save both you and me some time. Open the VBoxHardening.log with a text editor. Look at it. Search for "Kaspersky". If you find it, something is not right. Search for other things that are not Windows originals. Read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.