Another person with the hardening issue.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FigNewton

Another person with the hardening issue.

Post by FigNewton »

So I was running 5.0.40 and ran into the hardening issue after Win10 updated. I have read the hardening sticky and have tried all of the workarounds. Mine is exiting with the exit code 0x1. I only have Windows Defender running so no other virus progs to disable. I did disable all functions and try the uninstall, sfc scan,reboot, reinstall steps and that didn't work. At this point only 5.2.x versions will run. If I install 5.0.x or 5.1.x versions the hardening issue prevents me from running my vms. I have run the sfc /SCANNOW, run it and shutdown, run it then shutdown then run it again, run it with Virtualbox installed, run it with Virtualbox uninstalled, etc. I have also gone through the log and run it sfc /SCANFILE="..." on all of the files. Some it come back with Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations, and some it comes back with:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /SCANFILE="c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\QtCoreVBox4.dll"
Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I also done the uninstall, run sfc, reboot, install. I also uninstalled and removed the Program Files/Oracle subdir and then re-installed. Nothing is working, and honestly I would be happy to just stay on 5.2.x and put this all behind me, but the stuttering audio is unbearable and I really need the audio in my VM working as I listen to it all day.

I am attaching my VBoxHardening.log file. This is a clean file as I renamed the previous one before running again. I am pretty much at wits end.
Attachments
VBoxHardening_FigNewton.zip
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Another person with the hardening issue.

Post by mpack »

Most likely your problem is due to a host graphics driver update. To confirm this try disabling 2D and 3D acceleration and see if the guest will boot.

Basically, if the guest gets any distance into a boot and then fails, then graphics should be the first thing in your mind.
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

I just checked. Both 2d and 3d acceleration were turned off. I tried again with them still off and no luck. Turned them on, with same results. And now again with them back off. Still won't boot. None of my vm's are booting. Here are a couple of other VBoxHardening log files from some of my other virtual machines (Win2K, and 2 Linux installs).
Attachments
VBoxHardeningLogs_FigNewton_Othervms.zip
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, the only errors I see in the log have to do with "bcrypt.dll", VirtualBox it seems to be quite sure that there's some hanky panky going on with that DLL, but I have no idea what the problem might be.

You say "after Win10 updated". To what build? Hopefully not a build that came out after the VirtualBox versions you're trying to run?
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

I see the mention of the bcrypt.dll file, but it seems to pass the sfc check just fine.

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>sfc /SCANFILE="C:\WINDOWS\system32\bcrypt.dll"

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

My win10 is:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.64

It's a laptop with AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD Graphics. 8GB of ram. I believe this was the update that hosed everything: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709
Grzegorz Wiktorowski

Post by Grzegorz Wiktorowski »

I confirm the issue with VirtualBox 5.1.22 running on Windows 10 1709 16299.64. It forced me to upgrade to 5.2.2 that hosts my virtual machine without any problem. I don't enclose VBoxHardening.log but the last lines concern bcrypt.dll file.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Then I don't understand what this discussion is about. Time machines not being invented yet, it is not possible for VirtualBox to support Windows versions which will appear in the future.

VirtualBox versions 5.0.40 and 5.1.22 were both released in April 2017, neither can know anything about the Windows 10 1709 build of Sep 2017.
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

@mpack What???? One day I was running Virtualbox, Windows did an update and then Virtualbox errors out telling me there is a hardening issue. There are multiple threads about this and even a sticky so I don't understand your comment. I am just trying to get my virtual machines to boot, and your comment not only doesn't help, but seems a little sarcastic to me honestly. I have been writing software for 30+ years now and have never had someone tell me that. Windows 95 was written over 20 years ago yet I can write something today that will work on it so please explain if you are serious.

Back to the issue at hand. I spent yesterday making an image of my laptop, and since it seems that bcrypt.dll might be the issue was going to give it a go at removing the file. Not sure how bcrypt is used and really don't care. I don't have encryption on in my vm, and if I hose my machine I have a full image from yesterday.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you consider a simple statement of fact to be sarcasm then I'll gladly desist from offering more.
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

I still don't understand. I am not the only person with this issue, there is a sticky for hardening issues with another thread giving a full set of instructions. The only person mentioning time machines is you. I really don't see why you are being so caustic about this as I am just trying to get my machine running again. And honestly like I said in the top post here, I would be completely fine staying on 5.2.x, but with the audio issue persisting I can't/won't. I also don't see any mention of versions/dates in the "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" thread, only a mention to come here and post our hardening log file.

I just don't understand your comment. Ok, so virtualbox doesn't know about a system build in Sept., but the VirtualBox Manager comes up and runs. It too wasn't aware of the system built in Sept. either. I am also not blaming Virtualbox here, I am simply trying to get my vm's back up and running after the update. I came here because it's where the best concentration of support for your product seems to be. Windows support won't be able to troubleshoot a VirtualBox issue. Bcrypt.dll isn't a new file either, so it's not like when 5.0.40 was built the file didn't exist. I am just not sure why you are what I can only describe as being condescending towards my posts all of the sudden. I am just trying to find a solution and again am not blaming this on VirtualBox. Even if the solution turns out to be revert Windows Update XXXX, then that's all I am trying to find here. I don't believe I ever pointed the finger at your product. All I did was provide information about my current setup. Since someone else has posted with the same issue I am sure she/he too is just looking for a solution. And again I would gladly stay on the most up to date version if the sound worked properly.

Please step back for a minute and reread this thread with fresh eyes, pretend you are having an issue like I am and try to see from my point of view how the comments look/feel. If you feel you don't want to help, there's nothing I can do about it.

For anyone else with this issue, I didn't try removing the dll as I just didn't feel like spending the hours restoring my system. I did try a clean boot, and then re-ran the sfc /scannow command. It did not work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Just to get a couple of things cleared and straight:
  • This is not mpack's product or my product. This is a "USERS" forum, simply hosted by Oracle. We're volunteers, simple users like you, that help each other when we can. Take an offensive attitude and you won't be getting too much help. We don't have to help you, we do it because we love VirtualBox. But there are limits. Let me be blunt and cynical about this; I won't be losing any sleep if you don't get your VMs running, that's not a "threat" to my well being. On the other hand, I will definitely feel better if I manage to help you out, because that's what we come here for; helping out as much as we can. ;)
  • Windows updates and processes are notorious for wanting to interfere with other processes. VirtualBox does not allow a not-properly signed and not-properly verified DLL to get into the VM's memory space, for security reasons. So, either your DLL is not properly signed, or your Windows certificate database is not updated or it is corrupt.
  • We do NOT have a clue what that external DLL might be, only hints, and they're not always reliable because of conflicts/dependencies. It's up to YOU to find the offending DLL, not up to us. You got to do the detective work, we can only give you general guidelines.
  • Start with a clean Windows install? You won't have a problem. So, your Windows is modified in one of a possible gazillion different ways. You want to start guessing? So can we. But please do not blame us for not correctly identifying with 100% success what can be wrong with a user's computer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

I didn't blame anyone! As I stated I was merely asking for help. I don't understand the correlation with dates that mpack mentioned and I did ask for clarification a number of times. The dll he mentioned existed before when 5.0.40 was working properly, and now it doesn't. Again I put no blame on anyone, was just asking to see if there was help for my situation. His post seemed a little out of context in my opinion and I get that people can have a bad day. I understand. What wasn't clear until your post is that you are not Oracle employees. It's a forum for VirtualBox running under VirtualBox.org so I guess I just assumed that it would be staffed by Oracle employees. My apologies as that wasn't clear.

And I was in the process of "doing the detective work" by posting all information that I could and was asked. Out of the blue I get told that my machine isn't a time machine and end of story. I thought you guys were employees actually working on code, especially since you posted in the audio issues thread for us to download new beta builds. Again, I was merely confused about the comments and the abrupt nature with which they were delivered. I am not sure how this is all being seen as me being combative.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FigNewton wrote:I don't understand the correlation with dates that mpack mentioned
It's rather clear actually. The 5.0.40 and 5.1.22 version of VirtualBox predate the Win10 1709 build. You'd have to have a time machine to travel back in time, and include support for Win10 1709 in the older VirtualBox versions. Re-read his comment again (emphasis mine):
mpack wrote:VirtualBox versions 5.0.40 and 5.1.22 were both released in April 2017, neither can know anything about the Windows 10 1709 build of Sep 2017.
I really hope it's clearer now.

Which, in practical terms, it means that you have to have the latest and the greatest VirtualBox if you want your latest and greatest Win10 to be supported, either as a host or as a guest.

And even then, updates and other external "influences" can lead to unknown and convoluted system configurations. And then... something hits the fan. And we're called to guess what that "something" is. Tens of times per day... And sometimes, even we simply feel helpless in helping other people...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

I guess I seem to be missing a key piece here, because I have tons of software that was written pre-Win10 1709 build that is running perfectly fine. There's a basic understanding that software working on Win10 would continue to work on Win10 in the future. So forgive me for making a misunderstanding here. I do understand that there is a dependency that is obviously causing my error, and that is also probably causing my confusion, and also that I am oblivious as to what it is. Again, I thought you guys were the developers so maybe had access to code, or had intricate knowledge of the inner workings. I only came here to see if I could get help with my issue, and I am not the only person in the same boat. Not only that until audio is fixed on the newer versions I have no paddle.

Can I suggest that in the hardening issues thread that it's stated about build dates and such, as it's not mentioned there whatsoever. I also wasn't expecting this to be a "VirtualBox" fix as it's clearly obvious that it's a "Windows" issue. And never once did I blame VirtualBox. But VirtualBox is what's erroring out, reporting the errors, and the only thing with even a log file. If there is a Windows log file I will be happy to search through it. At this point though all other software on my host machine seems to be working fine with the build that Windows pushed on me. I didn't ask to be upgraded, Windows just happily closed all my processes one night and updated itself, which is a whole 'nuther topic.

I appreciate that you guys are helping, and doing this as volunteers. I would hope that you also understand that us seeking help isn't blaming you for the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FigNewton wrote:There's a basic understanding that software working on Win10 would continue to work on Win10 in the future.
And VirtualBox has been meeting that criteria, I guarantee it. It will run just fine. There's a rule: no 3rd party processes in my process. That's your misunderstanding. It's not a matter of VirtualBox running, it runs. It's a matter that it will not allow *any* 3rd party processess injecting themselves into its own process without being properly signed and verified by none other than Windows.

I just realized it, my bad... You haven't been pointed to the FAQ that explains it all: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues. Please read it really carefully and hopefully it will explain the whole situation.