[WorksForMe] Ubuntu guest of Win7 host can't browse the internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wicky

[WorksForMe] Ubuntu guest of Win7 host can't browse the internet

Post by Wicky »

Hi everyone,

I have a very strange issue of surfing the internet in Ubuntu guest on win7 host, which is very similar with the post of "can't browse in ubuntu" in Liunx guest.

1) NAT mode, windows 7 host and Ubuntu guest;
2) ping google is ok, can't surf the internet with any browser;
3) bridge mode works normally.

When I browse internet in win10 guest, a windows credentials is needed and then anything seems ok.

So I think it is sth. about domain control of the host windows, but I am not familiar with domain, i have some questions list below.

1) how can i solve the surf problem when try a NAT Ubuntu guest with a domain controlled windows host? is it sth. like windows credentials?

2) If i run a NAT win10 guest on a domain controlled win7 host, after I store the windows credentials(my username and password of the domain), is the win10
visible in the domain? if not, why the credentials is needed?

Many thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 13. Dec 2017, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu guest of Win7 host can't browse the internet

Post by socratis »

Keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette. Plus, you have to be patient, especially on the weekends. You don't open a new thread (or 'bump' the old one) in less than 24 hours... So, to prevent any duplicate answers/efforts, I have deleted your duplicate post from the other thread, and I'll leave this post on it own thread. You should have done that actually from the beginning, open a new thread... ;)

Now, NAT is the default option because it works right out of the box in 99% of the cases. So, there must be something in your setup that puts you in that 1% that fails. The question is what. You say you can "ping 8.8.8.8" and "ping google.com", right? The 1st one proves that you have an actual connection, and the 2nd one proves that your DNS is working correctly. That's all VirtualBox can do for you, the rest depends on your actual setup.

The little information you gave although needs further explanation:
Wicky wrote:When I browse internet in win10 guest, a windows credentials is needed and then anything seems ok.
Who's asking for that? Why? What's your setup? You mention a domain at some point, what exactly that "domain" refers to? Are you behind a proxy? Please give as many details as possible...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sorry for my impolite behavior and thanks for your instructions,:-)

1) The host win7 is controlled by domain and Ubuntu is a NAT mode guest on it.
2) Ping http://www.google.com/8.8.8.8 is ok, but can't browse internet with the default firefox, I haven't test other browser.
3) When switch to bridge mode, firefox works fine, everything seems ok.
4) For further test, I have install win10 as another guest os, also on NAT mode.
5) When I browse internet with IE inside win10 VM, a pop-up window appear which indicate windows credentials is needed.
6) After I input the domain username and password, just the same with win7 host, everything works fine.

So I guess the problem is something relative to the domain policy of the host machine, but I am not sure because of my poor domain knowledge.
If yes, it seems no relation to the virtualboxI itself. Anyway, there are still some questions listed as follows:

1) How can i solve the surf problem In NAT Ubuntu guest os? is it sth. relative to windows credentials? is there any similar module in Ubuntu? which it is named
"credential manager" in win10.

2) If i run a NAT win10 guest on a domain controlled win7 host, after I store the windows credentials(my username and password of the domain), is the win10
visible in the domain? if not, why the credentials is needed?
Last edited by socratis on 13. Dec 2017, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Hi all,

Update some progress.

I have solved the problem of firefox surfing in Ubuntu guest, just change the default proxy settings to "auto-detect proxy settings for this network", an pop-up of Authentication window will appear when firefox is opened.
Then I just type my domain name and password, everything is ok. Obviously, it is a requirement of the windows host AD server.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.