No Sound any guest machine x86, Win 7x64 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DMB77

No Sound any guest machine x86, Win 7x64 host

Post by DMB77 »

I hope someone can help with this,  I've been struggling with this issue for weeks. I installed virtualbox version 4 I had audio then it stopped working. If I play an audio file with wmp, it appears to play but there's no sound. If I click play on a Windows sound, on the sounds tab, the play button stays on with a green arrow till I hit stop. I have tried selecting all audio options Windows direct sound and null (Intel hd audio, ac97, and sound blaster, nada. Machine it's set for 1 processor, 1 core. I have tried updating drivers, both within the host and guest. I have removed unnecessary devices and drivers in the host. I completely uninstalled virtualbox and reinstalled all versions/ builds right up to the most recent. I installed guest additions(normally as well as in safe mode for experimental direct 3d). I have googled this extensively and nothing has worked. I'm running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit on an Asus motherboard with onboard audio quad core, 8GB RAM. I have tried running Windows 7 and XP 32 bit as guests. The strange thing is that when I install the same type of virtual machine(s) on VMware they work fine with sound, so I don't think it's an issue with my hardware, it has to be something within virtualbox. As a side note, I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I plugged in a USB sound card so that I could plug my headphones in because my front jack is not hooked up. I began to think that this might have had something to do with the issue so I completely removed that device and drivers from the host thinking that that may have caused a conflict and it still has not resolved this issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No Sound any guest machine x86, Win 7x64 host

Post by socratis »

Please stick with the defaults as proposed by the template. They're the defaults for a reason. Then,
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DMB77

Post by DMB77 »

The plot thickens. I plugged in my USB sound card(disabling internal audio in host) and virtualbox recognized it and sound was working. Started vm up the next day after unplugging an moving cords, and BAM no sound again. This log is with the hosts internal audio enabled(no sound in vm).
Attachments
Windows XP Embedded log file.zip
(21.39 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 4.3.40 r110317 win.amd64 (Aug 22 2016 13:43:30) release log
00:00:11.094041 Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.20 r114628 '5.1.20'
That's a really old main VirtualBox version, coupled with a relatively new installation of the Guest Additions (GAs). How did you manage such a feat? Did you download the GAs separately from the main program? You shouldn't be doing that, unless specifically directed to from a developer, or as part of a troubleshooting strategy.

I would suggest that you upgrade your VirtualBox to the latest and greatest version (5.2.2 as of this writing), or since this series is relatively new, you could either try the long term 5.1.x series, or even better the 5.2.x development builds. Do not forget to upgrade your GAs after you've installed VirtualBox on your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DMB77

Post by DMB77 »

Version 5.1.20-114628 with extensions pack and guest additions installed. Still no audio, here is the log:
Attachments
Windows XP Embedded log.zip
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I don't think XP Embedded is a good choice for audio testing.
Are you really sure that your XP Embedded build includes the necessary drivers for the virtual guest audio hw?
DMB77

Post by DMB77 »

This particular version has a game I play, it has been tested by many individuals and works fine.  As I stated in my original post, the audio for this virtual machine initially worked and then it stopped. I have also tried a fresh install of Windows XP sp3 32-bit and Windows 7 basic 32-bit and none of them, even after running Windows updates, have audio, even though the audio device is listed as functioning properly in the device manage. I have run similar guests with VMware and audio works, so the issue clearly lies with virtualbox and/or some conflict with the host devices/drivers.
DMB77

Post by DMB77 »

No one has any ideas what could cause this from looking at the log file?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'd say that Martin has already told you what the problem is. We know that audio works in a VirtualBox XP VM, leaving aside stupid mistakes such as leaving the audio muted. Therefore the problem must be with how your VM is configured, and the most likely problem is that you don't have the correct audio drivers installed. The VirtualBox XP template is designed for the consumer versions of XP (Home vs Pro, Retail and OEM). I have no experience with XP embedded, but I'd expect the install to be very configurable to leave out unwanted bloat, such as support for audio chipsets not in target embedded device.
DMB77

Post by DMB77 »

That was my initial thought as well, however I have installed legit versions of Windows XP home and pro as well as Windows 7 Home and with all the VM's the problem still persists; and yes I have looked for stupid mistakes such as muting the volume and that is not an issue. I have also installed this very same vm on my other computer and it works with no issue. There must be some sort of Hardware configuration that is conflicting I just can't seem to figure out what it is. I don't have enough experiencing reading log files to pinpoint it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Take a snapshot of the VM. Delete the audio driver in the VM and let Windows find it (New Hardware Found) and re-create it. See if that helps.

If it does, delete your snapshot. If it doesn't revert and then delete the snapshot.

If everything fails, create a new VM and try it out...