Windows Update deleted the HOST-ONLY network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mario Barduchi

Windows Update deleted the HOST-ONLY network

Post by Mario Barduchi »

Day 02/DEC/2017 Windows Update was executed on the machine and the system version after that is Windows 10-version 1709-compilation 16299.15.

The problem is that after Windows Update my HOST-ONLY network has disappeared. And Consiho no more stage.

Already uninstalled, already installed other versions, I have done everything and nothing works. He seems to have blocked it out.

Has anyone been through this?

All virtualization options are active in the BIOS, the note is new (Core i7).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Update deleted the HOST-ONLY network

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer.
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  7. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
If that process does not work, take a look at Ch. 12.7.6. Host-only networking adapters cannot be created from the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mario Barduchi

Post by Mario Barduchi »

Good afternoon Socratis.

Unfortunately, I already did these procedures. The only small point is that the file "% windir% \ inf \ INFCACHE.1" does not exist that the manual mentions.

After doing all that, I still have the same problem.

Thank you for you help.

Regards

Mario
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Installing VirtualBox in a Win10 host changes/creates several files; 12 ".pnf" files, 3 "oem#.inf" files and the "setupapi.dev.log". From what I've read, you can safely delete all the ".pnf" files, they're pre-compiled setup information files, they will be recreated. I went ahead and deleted all of mine and they were recreated in the next boot. I guess that's the "cached" information that the manual is talking about and maybe it needs to be updated for Win10.

So, I would repeat the steps that I gave you above, but in between Uninstalling VirtualBox and Rebooting, I would delete all the PNF files from the %WinDir%/INF directory.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
liu.lorin

Post by liu.lorin »

Maybe I encounter the same issue.

After Win10(host) major upgrade, the Host-Only Adapter is gone. It cannot be found in VirtualBox GUI and Windows Device Manager. In fact, it becomes a ghost “Bridged Adapter”.

Code: Select all

E:\Downloads>d:\Tools\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe list -l bridgedifs
Name:            Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
GUID:            fb7c1bef-c570-41c5-b705-545625d3cf41
DHCP:            Enabled
IPAddress:       192.168.8.102
NetworkMask:     255.255.255.0
IPV6Address:     fe80::2d19:13c2:a29a:c8ee
IPV6NetworkMaskPrefixLength: 64
HardwareAddress: f8:63:3f:4d:f7:5b
MediumType:      Ethernet
Wireless:        Yes
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Name:            VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
GUID:            d8e806cd-60b0-456a-99be-dce6b6da2ee0
DHCP:            Disabled
IPAddress:       0.0.0.0
NetworkMask:     0.0.0.0
IPV6Address:
IPV6NetworkMaskPrefixLength: 0
HardwareAddress: 00:00:00:00:00:00
MediumType:      Ethernet
Wireless:        No
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
I tried to search its GUID and delete all related items in Windows Registry. Also I tried to uninstall/install VirtualBox several times. The ghost device is still there.

When I create a new Host-Only Adapter, its name is with suffix “#2”. :(

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks!

Host: Win10 64bit 1709 (10.0.16299.309)
VirtualBox: 5.2.8 r121009
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If Windows will only create a #2 adapter it means that the original one is still there.

Have a look at what adapters you have using Device Manager. Se the view to show hidden devices.
Bill
liu.lorin

Post by liu.lorin »

Hi Bill,

I cannot find the original one in Windows Device Manager with the showing-hidden-devices view. :(