making disc bigger

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
-christopher-

making disc bigger

Post by -christopher- »

Hello,
I would like to make the disc in virtualbox bigger. I tried it with "modifyhd" but it failed and I need some help.
What I've done so far:

Code: Select all

"C:\...\VBoxManage.exe" modifyhd "C:\...\Deepin.vdi" --resize 30000
Progress state VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED
VBoxManage.exe: error: Resize medium operation for this format is not implemented yet!

"C:\...\VBoxManage.exe" clonehd "C:\...\Deepin.vdi" "C:\...\Deepin2.vdi" --variant Standard
Clone medium created in format 'VDI'. UUID: 5b...

"C:\...\VBoxManage.exe" modifyhd "C:\...\Deepin2.vdi" --resize 30000
Access denied
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: making disc bigger

Post by mpack »

NOT_SUPPORTED means that the drive is already bigger than 30000MB, or it's a fixed size disk.

Howto: Resize a Virtual Drive.

Is the "..." real? Please show commands exactly.
-christopher-

Post by -christopher- »

Sorry for answering you so late :oops:.

I think the drive is 10000MB big and have a fixed size, but I'm not totally sure. How can I check this? I tried to resize it as in the What if I used Fixed Disks, or VMDK? HowTo with the commands above but something went wrong. The "..." are not real, just to make the path shorter.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Just go to File|Virtual Media Manager in the UI, it will tell you everything you need to know about whatever disk you select in the list. If the drive is fixed size then the tabs at the bottom will say so.
-christopher-

Post by -christopher- »

The disk is 10 Gb big and of fixed size.
In the virtualbox is linux installed but it doesn't start anymore cause the disk is full. Is it possible to access my linux files from windows, then i could save them and just make a new disk?
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It would make more sense to create a new Linux guest (with a larger virtual disk). After you get this vm running, assign your old virtual disk to it (as an additional drive) and copy the files you need from it into your new vm.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ah, typical. People choose fixed disks because of the myth that they'll be faster, and then ensure crippled performance by making the drive congested and small.

I suggest that you clone and enlarge the drive using CloneVDI. In addition to the "Increase virtual drive size" option you can also set the "Increase partition size" option. The latter feature in fact doesn't know how to resize an extx partition, but it will at least move other partitions (e.g. swap) aside leaving room to grow the main partition using gparted.