Sound Problem With VirtualBox -5.2.x branch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sound Problem With VirtualBox -5.2.x branch

Post by socratis »

Did you try the latest test build? Revisions ≥ 120822 have a lot of audio fixes, especially on Windows Hosts. Give it a shot...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
atler

Post by atler »

Some background first -- I did experience the same issue which seems to be specific to Windows hosts. Same Linux guest and same sound issues on two completely different machines with Windows host. No issues if VM is moved to Linux host. I've just tried build 120822 (host only, with guest additions from 5.2.6, though I suspect guest additions are irrelevant here) and issue seems to fixed for me. I've been listening to music in guest for half an hour now and no distortion was observed. Usually it took a minute or two. Thanks!
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

I was a little bit too optimistic about the new build 120822. There are no distortion here but sound disappears after 11 or 12 minutes. Just because the sound stream became asynchronous and then VM sound would be stopped. Even if playback in the VM still goes on. See more in this ticket.
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Test build 5.2.7-120865 seems to have solved the problem using Intel Audio, but not AC97.
During the test, I was somewhat surprised the guest driver only supports 16 bit, 44100Hz.
Did a latency test for both version
Latency for 5.2.4
Latency for 5.2.4
v5.2.4.png (56.58 KiB) Viewed 11281 times
Latency for 5.2.7
Latency for 5.2.7
v5.2.7.png (49.58 KiB) Viewed 11281 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Latencymon is useless for VMs. The worst case is really bad, which is to say that there is absolutely no guarantee of reasonable latency. On a sufficiently resource-starved host, there is simply no upper limit. That's nothing new, that's the reality of virtualization.
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Yes, latency is a huge problem in virtualization, but as seen from the Latenncy Monitor the ataport seems to block the system for a considerable period.

One thing I am wondering about supporting sound, is that VirtualBox does not support WASAPI directly between a Windows host and guest, which would make it possible to use DAWs in a guest!
Last edited by socratis on 15. Feb 2018, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
neoliv

Post by neoliv »

I did not manage to find an update on this topic.
Having the same issue (VB5.2.6, Win7 60b, Ubuntu 16.04 64b)
Sounds starts OK but after a couple minutes there are strange crackling echoes that gradually increase in duration and make the sound unusable.
Any idea on the solution?
Thx a lot for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

neoliv wrote:VB5.2.6
neoliv wrote:Any idea on the solution?
Yes. Read the thread. From the beginning. Twice.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
raywood

Post by raywood »

If you don't mind my asking, why did you suggest reading the entire thread? I took you seriously, and read it all. I didn't find an answer to the question.
JheregJAB

Post by JheregJAB »

As far as I can tell, the solution is: "Its broken".

They seem to be working on it, and as yet haven't fixed the issue. They know there is an issue, and at this point all we can do is be patient. Beyond that, we are SOL.

Other options seem to be not using VB or getting a commercial license to use to complain to oracle.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, actually the "solution" would be to try the test builds. Which has been posted as a suggestion at least once before (by yours truly), 6 posts before your first post:
socratis wrote:Did you try the latest test build? Revisions ≥ 120822 have a lot of audio fixes, especially on Windows Hosts. Give it a shot...
QED: raywood, you didn't read the whole thread... ;)
UFO64

Post by UFO64 »

Speaking of test builds, I'm using Version 5.2.7 r120865 and thus far (1-2 hours of testing) I've been unable to recreate audio issues. Will continue to test, but we will see how that goes.
mike81

Post by mike81 »

Had same issue, glad to report using the latest test version 5.2.7.xxxxx, my Win10 VM with Win10 host now has perfect sound, no crackling, video is fine as well.
Using latest 5.2.6.xxxxx before and it was terrible (sound).

As for the microphone it doesn't work but that seems to be another separate issue reported.
Sessh

Audio crackling issue in Win7 running Linux VMs

Post by Sessh »

=VirtualBox Info=

Virtualbox 5.2.6 (most recent version)
Guest additions (fixed version for 3DA) and Extension Pack both installed

=Host=

Windows 7 Professional x64
ASUS Z170-AR Mobo (Realtek HD audio)
16GB memory

=Guest=

Linux Mint 18.2 VM
6GB memory, All 4 processors used, no execution cap
ICH AC97 Audio Controller

**Note: I am a Windows veteran, but am very green with Linux and VM's and though I am learning, I will probably need instructions on how to retrieve any needed information that may be required beyond what I will give here. Please be patient with me. :)

==

So, my problem is audio related. I am pretty sure this is a VirtualBox problem because:

a: I also have a Zorin (Linux) VM on which this problem did not happen in before I updated VirtualBox to the latest version (I don't remember what version I upgraded from however.) I have abandoned Zorin for Mint and prefer it now.

b: This problem not only happens in the Zorin VM where it did not before, but happens identically in the Mint VM.

This is purely an audio issue which goes like this. While playing audio files (including videos either in a media player like VLC or in a browser on Youtube), the sound is perfect for anywhere from 2-4 minutes. At some point during that window, static and crackle will fade into the sound starting out mild, then worsening to a "tin can" echo effect along with the crackle and static. After about 40 seconds of this, the crackling gradually fades away and sound is perfect again until an almost identical amount of time later when the process starts all over again.
---------

I have tried the following remedies from within Linux to no avail:

Eliminating the possibility of a timing issue:

- edited /etc/pulse/default.pa file so that the line

load-module module-udev-detect

...now reads:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
---------

Eliminating possibility of a clocking issue which did show up when using the dmesg | less command and using /ac97 to look for evidence that a clocking problem may be present which there was, so I took the following step:

- edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and added this line at the bottom of the file:

options snd-intel8x0 ac97_clock=48000

This eliminated the clocking issue when using the dmesg command, but the problem I am trying to solve remains.
--------

I also installed pavucontrol and tried messing with settings in there, but there's only one profile option (for built-in audio), but set the output to Stereo instead of Duplex. No change.
---------
I have found some workarounds (inside Linux) of which none are realistic and all are temporary, but may give some clues for you guys to go on. I can stop the static in the audio immediately by doing the following:

- stopping the playing audio/video, minimizing the window and switching to another window, then back and play it again and the audio is perfect again temporarily without waiting 40 seconds for it to pass.

- if in a browser on youtube, stopping the video and opening another video in another tab results in both videos playing with perfect audio immediately, but temporarily. (Conversely, if I open two videos at the same time and play one until the static comes, the other already opened video is also staticky.)

- I can also simply stop the video/audio for 10 seconds or so, then play it again and the audio is perfect again, but temporary.

Things that don't work at all:

- changing VirtualBox audio controller to Intel HD Audio (constant static/crackling when playing audio/video) or SoundBlaster 16 (doesn't work at all).

I hope that is enough information to get a solution out of this. I have done all I could think of or find to try and am at my wits end with this. If anymore information is needed, please let me know what you need and where/how I can get that information to you.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Linux Mint-2018-02-27-14-13-04 (vbox.log).zip
Vbox.log
(36.2 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Linux Mint-2018-02-27-14-13-04 (vboxHardening.log).zip
vboxhardening.log
(41.08 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Reno Drums

Post by Reno Drums »

Version 5.2.7 r120865 sound has no more crackling, but after a while there is no more sound. In detail: I'm running MIDI sequenzer software (Logic Audio) in a Win 2000 VM on a Win 7 host. When sound disappears within Logic Audio, I have to close the program. When I try to reproduce any midi file with another program (Windows Media Player), even this gives no more sound. But when I restart Logic Audio one more time, sound "returns" without having to restart the VM. Maybe this phenomenon is caused by the handling of the MIDI drivers ? I never had this problem running 5.1.xxx versions.