Sound Problem With VirtualBox -5.2.x branch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
UFO64

Re: Sound Problem With VirtualBox -5.2.x branch

Post by UFO64 »

Same issues as described, and just like BoxBoxBox, rolling back to 5.1.X does not fix the issue. Currently on 5.2.6 with the 5.2.7 guest extensions.
UliBär
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP and lots of Linuxes

Post by UliBär »

Same issues here - awful audio, way too fast and scrambled.

Going back to version VB 5.1.30 solves the issue, but you'll have to use older kernels in the Linux VMs or they won't boot.
Seems to correlate with the latest kernel patches against spectre/meltdown.

See also: viewtopic.php?p=412099#p412099
kitebuggy

Post by kitebuggy »

Hi

I also ran VirtualBox 5.2.6 and got the same issues. I connected a Logitech Headset via USB with a Soundchip inside and connected it directly to the guest (Linux Mint 18.3). Here, the sound is also distored.

Looking for a solution

Thanx
BoxBoxBox

Post by BoxBoxBox »

There is none. Hope vbox team prioritizes fixing this.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Feb 2018, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Storrm

Post by Storrm »

TechnoMax wrote:Does it help to go back to an older VB version? Which one would be the right one? Is it possible at all to get rid of the newer guest additions in the guest system?
I've installed 4.3 and it wouldnt even run the VM. Since re-installing 5.2.6, my Ubuntu VM is now refusing to boot at all !! I think something has got seriously screwed up and I'm all out of snapshots!

PS - I also tried my Windows VM's and I have the same audio issue with them as well.
UFO64

Post by UFO64 »

Do you have 3D acceleration turned on? The 5.2.6 guest extensions have a bug that will prevent bootting with those turned on. The main VirtualBox download page offers replacement extentions, or you can just turn of 3d for now?
Last edited by socratis on 1. Feb 2018, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Storrm

Post by Storrm »

UFO64 wrote:Do you have 3D acceleration turned on? The 5.2.6 guest extensions have a bug that will prevent bootting with those turned on. The main VirtualBox download page offers replacement extentions, or you can just turn of 3d for now?
Thanks. Tried this in a newly built Ubuntu VM and it fixed the 3D problem. However, my original VM still wont boot. I wont taint this thread with further questions and will open a new ticket on the subject. Hopefully someone can help me there :-)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Storrm wrote: I wont taint this thread with further questions and will open a new ticket on the subject.
a) Great thinking, b) I hope you mean a new thread, not a new ticket...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tgp1994
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Several

Post by tgp1994 »

Just confirming that I am also seeing this issue; Windows 10 64 bit host, 7 Home Premium 32-bit guest, Intel HD Audio controller selected. It sounds like we have a confirmed bug at this point, is there a report in the tracker we can follow to avoid cluttering up this topic?

Edit for everyone's information: it looks like bug #17213 is the one we want to follow.
UFO64

Post by UFO64 »

Windows 10 update kb4058258 resulted in a minor improvement for me. Seems to last a bit longer between audio garbage, but the glitchy/scratchy issue tends to come and go (In testing, this takes about 10 minutes now).
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

Test build 5.2.97 r120680 has considerably less audio issues.

5.1 modes no longer freeze the vm, but instead adopt the issues previously occuring on the stereo mode, of course, there is still no multichannel mapping between vm and host but thats unlikely ever to change
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

Please give build 120822 a try, on my systems everything sounds better, there are nearly no extra noise now in audio playback.
kitebuggy

Post by kitebuggy »

I noticed that the sound samples frequency changes. If you listen to the sound, you can easily hear that the sound changes it's frequency often and than distortion arrives like in a buffer underflow.
Play a sample file with the same tone over a time and you will hear differences in it's heard frequency.

Simply a suggestion where the problem could came from.

I use a headset with an USB soundcard (USB Headset) directly plugged on my guest (Linux).

Al
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kitebuggy wrote:Play a sample file with the same tone over a time and you will hear differences in it's heard frequency
How much time? Does the frequency matter? Is it a single, long sound or a loop?
Host? Guest? VirtualBox? Player? Complete and detailed versions please, including build/revisions
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kitebuggy

Post by kitebuggy »

The frequency doesn't matter. I use Virtualbox 5.2.6r120293 in Windows10 64 professional and as Guest Linux Mint 18.3, but I don't think that that matters.
For me it's an issue with system ressources being not available for a time, due to something I don't know. Something doesn't give enough priority to Virtualbox or a task in Virtualbox 'eats' all ressources.