Sound Problem With VirtualBox -5.2.x branch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: Sound Problem With VirtualBox -5.2.x branch

Post by Air Force One »

I‘ve done a little bit of testing once again with the latest test build (119921). This time one can hear a little bit of crackling / sparkling in small test sounds in the dumped files. I hope this can help. The long stream playback is still distorted, but not in the dumped files.

Vbox_27_12_2017.zip
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Air Force One wrote:As I thought, it is a communication issue.
I would call it a misconception issue. A misconception coming from the fact that people think that reproducing the issue will get it fixed. No, that's not the difficult part. The problem is the fixing part. And my "frustration" comes from the fact that people that have no clue what an "if... else..." statement is make assumptions pulled from thin air that "this should be easy to fix". If anyone thinks that this should be/is an easy fix, by all means, the source code is there. Knock yourselves out! Just make sure that you test it in all platforms supported. And in multiple case scenarios.

All that's needed from us is feedback, not criticism. And especially not the unconstructive kind...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

More test with last test builds (120181). Same situation, one can hear something on small files in the VM playback. Hope this could help, the logs are also attached.

Vbox_Sound_11012018.zip
Vbox_Sound_10012018.zip
Lucky IT Luke

Post by Lucky IT Luke »

Hi, I had the same problem with VirtualBox -5.2.0. I run a Windows XP guest and two Linux guests on a Windows XP guest with Service Pack version 3. I have Realtek HD (MSI) sound card on the Host Machine. For some strange reason after updating my ZoneAlarm Firewall software I lost the sound on the Windows XP guest. I ran the dixdiag within the run command and discovered that the VirtualBox sound-driver needed user verification.
After trying one whole day of reloading the sound driver and various sound card options on the VirtualBox -5.2.0 manager, nothing worked.
A working solution came when I downloaded VirtualBox -5.2.6. After installing it without first uninstalling the previous version VirtualBox -5.2.0.
I then started up my guest Windows XP machine with the settings: Host Audio Driver (Windows Direct-Sound) and
Audio Controller (ICH AC97). I then re-installed the The VirtualBox Windows Guest Additions. And then? All smiles as my machine had sound again.
TechnoMax
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro + Home, 7 Home

Post by TechnoMax »

Lucky IT Luke wrote:After trying one whole day of reloading the sound driver and various sound card options on the VirtualBox ... manager, nothing worked.
Same with me: Host and guest are Windows 10 Pro. But reinstallation of the guest additions 5.2.6 did not help me.
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

So the problem at hand is that the mixing buffer used by Virtualbox on the host has been broken, the recorded wav dumps aren't going to show it because these are recorded prior to the sound being mixed for host output.

The behaviour is nearly 100% the same as running creative alchemy at settings not compatible with a game, audio is cut off, or output with severe artifacts.

What is needed is user configurable host mixing controls instead of an assumed one size fits all method (never works on audio output devices).

Dumping directsound would be ideal too, xaudio is superior and openal is easier to mix, would even allow for working surround sound in guests (right now it just locks up the vm)
TheTallesT

Post by TheTallesT »

I'm having the same problem with Windows XP, 8.1, and 10 guests on both Windows 8.1 and 10 hosts.
Some crackling has always been an issue for me but is significantly worse after 5.1.30.
The entire 5.2 branch and 5.1.32 have the problem.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

squall leonhart wrote:Dumping directsound would be ideal too, xaudio is superior and openal is easier to mix, would even allow for working surround sound in guests (right now it just locks up the vm)
Contributions are welcome. Short of that, DirectSound it is.
JheregJAB

Post by JheregJAB »

Just wanted to add my voice - I have the same problem and have for about a month now. Problem persists with current 5.2.6 Virtualbox and 5.2.7 Guest additions.

Windows 10 64 bit host. Ubuntu Guest, Audio becomes distorted after a short time.

I enabled audio debugging but can't seem to find the wav files to upload.
Rasull

Post by Rasull »

The sound problems persists especially if i use the ASIO driver for my Audio interface. I have already upgraded Oracle virtual box to 5.2.7. The same distorted sound problem.
My host is mac pro 15 inches with high sierra 10.13 running windows 7 ultimate as guest.
JheregJAB

Post by JheregJAB »

I'm not sure if it helps, but at least in my case the problem can be mitigated by turning audio output off and back on again. This seems to reset whatever issue is taking place. Similarly, changing output devices (through windows) also resets the issue.

It feels to me (aka, the uninformed) like a buffer issue of some sort. Like a sound buffer isn't getting filled quickly enough and that results in the popping and eventual general distortion.
BoxBoxBox

Post by BoxBoxBox »

Experiencing AWFUL audio crackling and echoing. This was not a problem before. Neither is it a problem in VMWare or host.
This started happening after update to latest version (not sure what I was previously on, I hadn't updated for a while). Literally no changes were done to host or guest, only VB was updated. Experiencing in all guests, including W7, W10, Ubuntu and other distros. The crackling happens when any sound is played, be it system, youtube, mp3 or a video. Watching a video with sound is impossible.
Tried reinstalling guest additions but that didn't change anything. This was not an issue before the update.

VB: 5.2.6
Host: Win 10
Guest: Win 7

Demo:
https://streamable.com/wtp7v

The actual song does not sound like this at all.
Storrm

Post by Storrm »

I'm getting exactly the same issues as the previous post. Using VB 5.2.6 with Ubuntu 16.04 running Kodi as my media server. Cant watch any videos or listen to any music. I've tried both ACH97 and HD Audio (ACH was actually slightly better!). This started to happen when I re-installed Windows 10 on my PC and had to re-install all my apps (approx 15th Jan). I can't say what VB version I was using prior to my re-install, but I wasn't having these audio issues.

It seems there's no fix until Oracle fix it, which I hope is soon as Kodi without sound = not a lot of use :-(
TechnoMax
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro + Home, 7 Home

Post by TechnoMax »

Does it help to go back to an older VB version? Which one would be the right one? Is it possible at all to get rid of the newer guest additions in the guest system?
BoxBoxBox

Post by BoxBoxBox »

TechnoMax wrote:Does it help to go back to an older VB version? Which one would be the right one? Is it possible at all to get rid of the newer guest additions in the guest system?
I tried but anything below 5.1 wouldn't even run the VM at all. And 5.1 didn't seem to solve the issue. It might work if you start a new one but I couldn't be bothered.