VB 5.2.2 on Win7 - video capture does not work?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

VB 5.2.2 on Win7 - video capture does not work?

Postby doron » 28. Nov 2017, 12:02

Hi,

Installed VB 5.2.2 on my Win7 x64 host. Trying to activate video capture.
Pulling down the View menu to enable video capture ends up with "failed to..." message.

Shutting down the guest, configuring the video capture (with path and all) and starting the guest - the film roll animation on the frame rolls as if all is fine, but no video file is produced at the designated location.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks for any help!
doron

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various Linux, Win7, Win10

Re: VB 5.2.2 on Win7 - video capture does not work?

Postby doron » 5. Dec 2017, 21:15

Anyone?...
doron

Postby socratis » 6. Dec 2017, 07:42

Open a Command Prompt window. Navigate to the VirtualBox installation directory (typically "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"). Post the output of the following command:

VBoxManage showvminfo "<Your_Virtual_Machine_Name>"
On top of that:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby doron » 6. Dec 2017, 11:02

Thank you! Attached both vminfo and vbox.log (brief session).
Attachments
vb522-vcapture-issue.zip
VM info and vbox.log
(24.89 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
doron

Postby socratis » 9. Dec 2017, 12:31

00:00:01.155220 Host RAM: 16382MB (15.9GB) total, 3896MB (3.8GB) available
00:00:01.337958 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000100000000 (4 294 967 296, 4 096 MB, 4.0 GB)
You are assigning memory to your guest, that you do not have available. Either close some applications on the host, buy more RAM for the host, or reduce the amount of RAM assigned to the guest.

00:00:02.502667 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. You should enable them both in the VM settings and then re-install the Guest Additions (GAs).

00:00:01.338048 Path <string> = "N:\VMs\Windows 10 New.vdi" (cb=26)
What's drive "N:\" and why do you keep your snapshots separately from your main VDI?

In any event, the above are generic advice/questions. That's not your real issue. Your real issue is that you seem to have hit a regression. Here's what I found:

VirtualBox 5.2.x (any .x)
  • If you start the recording before you start the VM, then no .webm file is created. Nothing in the logs.
  • If you start the recording after the VM has started, then a .webm file is created, but Firefor (the "test" standard) says that it's a corrupt file. It plays fine on VLC.
VirtualBox 5.1.30
  • If you start the recording before or after you start the VM, then a .webm file is created, Firefor and VLC play it just fine.
It's funny that no one reported that so far. Do you want to create a new ticket, or do you want me to do it?
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby doron » 11. Dec 2017, 00:44

@socratis, thanks for the analysis and the general comments.
I do know my host tends to be short on phys memory (RAM at mobo's limit) and that snapshots are configured to be separate from v drives (by design). Will look into the video acceleration - thanks!

Re the regression - thanks for doing the problem analysis! I now have a sort-of-working workaround, which is A Good Thing.
Be my guest in opening the ticket, - you did some hard work recreating the problem, you should have the credit for the bug :-)

EDITED: Here we are.
doron

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts