VirtualBox install hangs on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Richard Payne

VirtualBox install hangs on Windows 10

Post by Richard Payne »

I've download and run the installer for v5.2.2 of VirtualBox for Windows. I get all the way through the setup pages of the wizard, accepting the warning about the network interface being restarted and click the Install button. The progress bar screen appears and then nothing else happens. The install UI appears interactive but the cancel button doesn't actually work. I have to kill the msiexec.exe process to get the installer to close.

I've run it as both myself and Administrator. I've attached the log file.

Any ideas?
Attachments
MSI9a3a7.7z
(11.51 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox install hangs on Windows 10

Post by mpack »

That sounds like you have a problem with MSI, not with VirtualBox. VirtualBox isn't even running. I'm not aware of anyone else reporting this, so again the problem doesn't seem to be in VirtualBox.

I'd guess that MSI goes looking for some resource, and gets into trouble of some kind. Perhaps a corrupted registry, perhaps a bad network connection, can't tell from here.
Richard Payne

Post by Richard Payne »

Ermm, yes, it's an installation issue but given that it is only the VBox installer that hangs, I still see this as a VBox issue. Not had any issues with other installers.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

No, it's not an "installation issue", and there is no "VBox installer". No VirtualBox code is running.

You have a problem with your Windows host. Please reread my previous post for things to look for.
mapsonyllaer

Post by mapsonyllaer »

I have the same problem and know of one other person with an installation issue of VirtualBox 5.2.2 on Windows 10. I have version 1709 of Windows 10, which may or may not have anything to do with it. Previously I had a VirtualBox 5.1 version installed. MSI does execute code based on what's in your .msi file, so that's your VirtualBox installer. Here is the last line of the log before it hangs:

Installing INF file "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf\VBoxNetLwf.inf" ...

I will have to try to revert to an older version. I hope you find something. I moved away from VirtualBox before because of installer issues. I came back, because I get VirtualBox VMs from other people, which I have to be able to exectue, so this is a highest priority show stopper for me.
mapsonyllaer

Post by mapsonyllaer »

VirtualBox 5.2.0 installs fine, so please find the problem between VirtualBox 5.2.0 and 5.2.2.
stevensrmiller

Post by stevensrmiller »

mpack wrote:I'm not aware of anyone else reporting this, so again the problem doesn't seem to be in VirtualBox.
In decades of working in the computer business, I have found nothing that irritates me more than being told my bug is not a bug because no one else has reported my bug.

This exact same thing is happening to me, right now, with Version 5.2.8.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Until a bug is confirmed, it's just a lone report. Don't take it personally, it has happened to all of us... ;)

Now, please read the thread from the beginning. This is not a VirtualBox bug, this is a Microsoft installer issue. And that thing has a lot of issues. So much so, that there are tools out there to address the problem, some of them even from Microsoft. And you know that something is designed bad, when the company that makes it, also provides the tools to fix it!

The VirtualBox installer is a standard MSI install file. It's not VirtualBox that fails at this point, it's your Windows installer. Check to see if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

stevensrmiller wrote:I have found nothing that irritates me more...
I can't see what relevance your "irritation" has to the reasoning given earlier. I've been in this business for decades too, much of which has been spent helping people for free, rather than complaining about how irritated I am with the free help given to me by others.