Warning: Win10 1709 may autostart your VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Warning: Win10 1709 may autostart your VMs

Post by socratis »

Affects: Windows 10 (1709) both hosts and guests.
I just read about the following change that Microsoft implemented, that might have some unwanted consequences:
  • If you have updated your Windows 10 host to the 1709 Fall Creators Update.
  • If you have set up one or more VMs to start at login.
  • Then your VMs will start without you logging in.
Microsoft has done something that I would not like to characterize, but it automatically logs you in the background. The login process starts all programs that are supposed to start after login. So if you have setup a VM to start at login, that VM will start even if you may not specifically want it to start. So could your Skype, Messenger, etc.

The same goes for your guests, obviously. So if you have a Win10 host with a Win10 guest that is supposed to do something at login (the guest), you may be in for a surprise. All it takes is to power on your computer. It has already affected at least one VirtualBox user.

No known workaround yet.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Re: Warning: Win10 1709 may autostart your VMs

Post by JEBjames »

I noticed something similar with an unrelated service.

What seems to happen is that when windows "shuts down" it does a hibernate behind the scenes. And on the next startup it partially resumes this image to speed up the boot process.

Any services that were running before you "shut down" get started again. Even if the service startup setting is set to manual. i.e. A service set to "manual" should NOT start on next boot...but it does start if the service was running before your last shutdown.

Not sure if disabling "Fast start" is a work around or not?

Microsoft should fix this. asap. In my opinion, starting services I don't want to start can be a security problem. :(
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, I'm not talking about services. I'm talking that they log you in your account behind your back! Just power up the computer, you're logged in. Without it actually showing your desktop, but with the computer being at the login screen expecting you to... login. :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

That's even crazier.

I'm all for speeding things up, but this is ridiculous. :(