[Solved] Could not start the machine because the physical network interfaces were not found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jerri2911

[Solved] Could not start the machine because the physical network interfaces were not found

Post by Jerri2911 »

Hello all. Hope someone can help. I am using Virtual Box Version 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.2). Yesterday it worked fine. Before I shut the VM down yesterday it asked to be updated. I allowed it to update and now I can't start Virtual Box again. When I try I get the following error message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine.

Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I am running Windows 10 Creators Edition as my host machine.

I saw someone else posted about this same issue on a Windows 8 machine in the past. That person was advised that the VM broke after the update and that they should right click on the Virtual Machine and then click 'Discard Saved State.'

When I right click on the Virtual Machine the option to 'Discard Saved State' is grayed out for me so I can't choose this option.

Is there a fix for this or do I just need to delete my virtual machine and reinstall it?

I've had problems with 5.2.0 and my network connections even before I let the update install yesterday. Before yesterday I could only use 5.2.0 with an Ethernet connection on my host machine. If I try to use my wireless adapter I can't get the VM to connect to the Internet. Now, since this update, the VM won't even start for me.
Attachments
Log File.txt
Log File
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
Last edited by socratis on 30. May 2019, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Jerri2911

Re: Could not start the machine because the physical network interfaces were not found

Post by Jerri2911 »

I was able to resolve this issue myself by uninstalling Virtual Box, leaving my VM files untouched, reinstalling Virtual Box, running Virtual Box as an admin and all of the options for the adapters are there again. Still can't connect with the wireless adapter but the VM starts now and can go online from the VM now. Will post about the wireless adapter issue at another time. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Could not start the machine because the physical network interfaces were not found

Post by socratis »

Jerri2911 wrote:I am using Virtual Box Version 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.2).
Jerri2911 wrote:Still can't connect with the wireless adapter
Take a look at "[Fixed] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)". Update to the latest Development Snapshot build (at the bottom of the page).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jerri2911

Post by Jerri2911 »

I'll try this fix for the wifi adapter issue. Thank you.
Jerri2911

Post by Jerri2911 »

This worked for me. My wifi adapter will connect in my VM now. Thanks you. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bare_meatal

Re: [Solved] Could not start the machine because the physical network interfaces were not found

Post by bare_meatal »

got similar error on linux host and v6.0.8:
"Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'wlp4s0' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)."

resolved by switching ethernet network mode from BRIDGED to NAT in the VMs settings (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85083)
Last edited by socratis on 30. May 2019, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
jeffrey1

Re: [Solved] Could not start the machine because the physical network interfaces were not found

Post by jeffrey1 »

What worked for me was to refresh the MAC of the network adaptor (settings > Network > Advanced > Click refresh to the right of MAC Address) save and start VM