[Solved] help! gpart increased size of linux guest partition but linux guest cannot see it

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bsmile

[Solved] help! gpart increased size of linux guest partition but linux guest cannot see it

Post by bsmile »

I didn't realize possible complications involved with a guest with snapshots when resizing the guest partition, so I don't quite remember what I have done when I use gpart to do the job (most likely the work is done on the then current status of my guest partition). Now gpart reported resizing successful, but linux mint shows remaining the original size. How can I possibly fix the issue? I basically followed http://derekmolloy.ie/resize-a-virtualbox-disk/ to resize. My host machine is win 7 and my guest is linux mint. I don't know what further information is useful, thus only described my issue here. Please ask whatever questions which you think relevant towards solving it! Thanks!

Edit: the size was changed in the new dvi. There are space unallocated within linux mint, although those space are shown to be combined into sd1 as seen with gpart.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Nov 2017, 02:42, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: help! gpart increased size of linux guest partition but linux guest cannot see it

Post by mpack »

Howto: Resize a Virtual Drive. (I will not parse offsite blogs for correctness).
bsmile

Re: help! gpart increased size of linux guest partition but linux guest cannot see it

Post by bsmile »

mpack wrote:Howto: Resize a Virtual Drive. (I will not parse offsite blogs for correctness).
Thanks! I finally cloned my existing vm and then set a new vm using the clone and apply gpart on it. The cloned vm does not seem to have sd1 well sized, the extra space is in the state of unallocated status. I used gpart again to redo everything again, now it works fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.