Compacting .vdi no longer working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Thomas1864

Compacting .vdi no longer working

Post by Thomas1864 »

Hello,
I've been using Virtualbox for a while. Recently upgraded to 5.2, had several problems which I have now sorted after a few re-installs, cleaning of the registry, etc.

I've got Virtualbox 5.2 working again but compacting a .vdi is not working
When running the command I get the following error:

VBoxManage modifyhd -compact "<path and vdi name here>"
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND 0x8007007F (0x8007007F) - ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND 0x8007007F (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or failed to start.

I googled the error but couldn't find anything useful. I uninstalled and reinstalled Virtualbox and the ovftool (version 4.2). Host is Windows 10, 64

Any hints or tips welcome as I've run out of ideas!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Compacting .vdi no longer working

Post by BillG »

Use mpack's Clonevdi tool instead. See the sticky message at the top of this forum. I never use anything else.
Bill
Thomas1864

Post by Thomas1864 »

Hi Bill,
I tried that tool and it runs to completion without a problem, however it doesn't actually shrink the vdi, it creates a 39GB out of a 38GB file. I deleted temp files before, ran zerofree but still no shrinking. Any ideas?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you ticked the compaction box in CloneVDI and it did nothing then either the guest filesystem is already compact, or you aren't using a supported filesystem. Hopefully you read the release notes that came with the tool.

Zerofree is not needed by CloneVDI if it's a supported filesystem.

The original errors (first post) btw seem to me to be caused by copying of the VirtualBox executables. Never do that.
Thomas1864

Post by Thomas1864 »

mpack, I thought, what rubbish, the file system can't be compacted, I removed all rubbish, only did updates, autoremoved them, etc. But your comment made me double check and it turns out that all the issues I previously had created two log files worth 22GB of errors. Deleting them, running the CloneVDI tool again compacted the file down to a net 18GB so my bad. I thought I'd post this as people may want to log for the systems.log and users.log file.

I'm not sure what you mean about copying the Virtualbox executables as I didn't do that, I can't see that in the message I posted unless I'm missing something.

mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND usually means a dynamic linkage error, which usually means that a mix of executable versions is present. E.g. a VBoxManage.exe from v5.2.0, and a VBoxSVC.dll from 4.0.30.