[WorksForMe] Can't set VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter (#17354)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dresendi
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: RedHat, Ubuntu

[WorksForMe] Can't set VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter (#17354)

Post by dresendi »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17354: Can't setup Host-Only Network Adapter on Windows 10 Client]
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, I tried to lookup first for this particular issue I'm experiencing but I didn't find anything similar.

So, here's what has causing me headaches for the last couple of days. I can't set the configuration for VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, every time I set the IP, mask values immediately after apply the changes, changes are gone, never updated.

-I'm using VirtualBox Version 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.2) for Windows
-I have Windows 10 Pro running on a Dell Precision, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, core i7 vPro
-I'm trying to host a Linux VM that contains some web application, so I can access them via u.r.l. , this is a RedHat VM

What happens is, the very first time I Installed Vbox on my machine, I went to to check the Global tools->Host Netwok Manager, I realized that a new Host-Only Adapter was already created, and actually can be seen within Network Connections, the DHCP server information was already pre-populated, I followed the same network and set my values for the host-only adapter

[ image]

Once I click on apply then VBox returns the values to zeroes.

[image2 ]

After this I tried a lot of things to make the Host-Only adapter work

- I had 3 VM, I remove 2 of them and test 1 with one
- Remove all single VMs and try to set the values
-Try to set the values using TCP/IP v4 properties in the actual Network device on Windows' Network connections
- Uninstall VBox, install a older version (VirtualBox-5.1.28-117968)
- Reinstall VBox using Admin option
- Uninstall VBox, delete completely .VirtualBox folder, reboot the machine, then reinstall VBox as: user and admin
- Delete all the Devices using the GUI and create the device using VBoxManage hostonlyif create

None of the above options mentioned worked. Then I had to go digging more on logs, I learned how to do this and upon installing once more, I put attention the very first time I try to create the Host-Only Adapter, then this is when I find this:

At his point I tried slight changes like using a different network (not 56) or even setting the values manually on VirtualBox.xml

None of my options did work.

So here I am trying to see if the community has any idea of what is happening? :?

Thanks in advance

In addition 2 co-workers managed to complete the setup and have the same VM, with the same VBox version up and running with a correct Host-Only adapter settings, as described on the images, they have same Laptop model as I have. I can't post U.R.L.s just yet, I need to wait 1 day and have 1 post according to the rules.
Attachments
VirtualBox.xml
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
VBoxSVC.log
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
selectorwindow.log
(817 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by socratis on 29. Jan 2018, 20:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
- Diego
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Can't set VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Post by BillG »

I really don't know. It works fine here running Windows 10 version 1709 and VirtualBox 5.2.0 on a Dell with an i7 processor. I created a host only adapter from global tools and enabled DHCP. It is using 192.168.206.1/24 .

I set a Windows 7 vm to use a host only adapter and started it. It received an IP of 192.168.206.3 from DHCP, just as expected.
HostOnly.PNG
Can you see any host only adapters on the host from Network and Sharing Center? I can see two. The default VirtualBox Host-Only network (192.168.56.1) and VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2 (192.168.206.1).
Bill
dresendi

Post by dresendi »

thanks for responding BillG,

I see only one host-only adapter, however as you said, I can try again creating a brand new one, and having a different network after that I should see 2 of them, the default one VirtualBox creates and my own custom adapter.
- Diego
dresendi

Post by dresendi »

it didn't work either. upon setting the new adapter it doesn't reflect changes on the windows adapter
Attachments
3.PNG
3.PNG (4.72 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
Last edited by dresendi on 17. Nov 2017, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
- Diego
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It would be preferable if you attached images locally (especially when they are this small), rather than invent weird languages to link to external image hosting sites.

Your first post has 3 attachments, so you clearly know how to do this.
dresendi

Post by dresendi »

Hi,

It's been a couple of days since I posted this problem, the issue persist, today I tried to run the Windows diagnosis tool and this is the result. Any ideas?

Code: Select all

PrintWindows Network Diagnostics Publisher details 

Issues found 
There might be a problem with the driver for the VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapterThere might be a problem with the driver for the VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter
Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter. Detected Detected 
Set up the 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' adapter Not run 
The 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' adapter is experiencing problems Not run 

Issues found Detection details 

6 There might be a problem with the driver for the VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter Detected Detected 

Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter. 
Set up the 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' adapter Not run 

Set up the network adapter to communicate with this network. This ensures that both Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) can be used on the network adapter. 
The 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' adapter is experiencing problems Not run 

Windows Help and Support can provide more information about resolving driver or hardware issues. 

Detection details Expand 

InformationalDiagnostics Information (Network Adapter) 
Details about network adapter diagnosis: 

Network adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
   Manufacturer  . . . . . . . . . : Oracle Corporation
   Provider  . . . . . . . . . . . : Oracle Corporation
   Version   . . . . . . . . . . . : 5.2.2.0
   Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem23.inf
   Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 22, 2017  11:22:22 PM
   Section Name  . . . . . . . . . : VBoxNetAdp6.ndi
   Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : sun_vboxnetadp
   Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200b
   Device Manager Status Code  . . : 0
   IfType  . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
   Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 0

InformationalNetwork Diagnostics Log 
File Name:  0AA349BE-230A-4FF4-9F9F-15F2D3B40401.Diagnose.0.etl 

InformationalOther Networking Configuration and Logs 
File Name:  NetworkConfiguration.cab 

Collection information 
Computer Name:  MXN1700093 
Windows Version: 10.0 
Architecture: x64 
Time: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:29:35 PM 

Publisher details Expand 

Windows Network Diagnostics 
Detects problems with network connectivity. 
Package Version: 4.0 
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Last edited by socratis on 6. Dec 2017, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
- Diego
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't set VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter (#17354)

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dresendi

Post by dresendi »

Problem solved

Root Cause: My antivirus software (Symantec Endpoint Protection) had an issue, some files were corrupt and was not properly working, my local IT detect this after troubleshooting a completely separate issue.

Action item: IT proceed to uninstall, clean up cache, registry keys and install the Symantec software again. After that I was able to create host-only ethernet adapters and all the IP/Mask values were automatically populated as expected.

Thanks.
- Diego
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Another antivirus issue. I wish at some point they get it right. One can only hope...
Thanks for updating the ticket and the forums! I'll mark the topic in the forums as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.