Bridged guest loses network when host's physical interface has been disabled and then enabled.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dariyoosh

Bridged guest loses network when host's physical interface has been disabled and then enabled.

Post by dariyoosh »

Hello

My environment:

Code: Select all

Virtualbox version for Windows 10 (64 bits) : 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.2)
Host OS: Windows 10 (64 bits)
Guest OS : Fedora 27 (x86_64)
Virtualbox extensions have already been installed successfully on the guest and operational.
The guest networking has been configured in the VM settings as "Bridged" and on the guest system (Fedora)
I've properly configured static networking according to the system manual (tested successfully the connectivity to both
gateway and internet. I disabled NetworkManager and I use network instead)

Sometimes there could be a connection interruption problem on Windows host. I think (but not sure)
that this could be related to PLC socket in my room. Anyway, whenever this happens
I disable for a few seconds in Windows Control Panel my network physical interface and I enable it again which gives
me once again network connection between my PC (therefore virtualbox host) and my router (which gives me internet, DNS, DHCP, . . .)

Now the problem is once this has been done, the guest can no more connect to neither the internet nor the gateway. I checked whether any configuration file (/etc/resolv.conf, etc) had been modified when I run service network restart (the command returned sucessfully). But nothing had changed.

Therefore the only way to get the network back is to power off and run the guest once again from the start.

I would like to know, in you opinin, is this normal? Isn't anyway to reload the network for the guest without rebooting
(could be long as there are many services)?

Thanks in advance
peter999999

Re: Bridged guest loses network when host's physical interface has been disabled and then enabled.

Post by peter999999 »

Could be the same problem as noted in ticket #14374 ?
2 years old and still no solution....
Last edited by mpack on 17. Nov 2017, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket URL.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bridged guest loses network when host's physical interface has been disabled and then enabled.

Post by mpack »

I wouldn't expect a solution until it becomes a priority with paying customers, and it doesn't sound like the kind of issue that would do that. It seems simple to me: if you don't want to lose a connection then don't disable it.
dariyoosh

Post by dariyoosh »

peter999999 wrote:Could be the same problem as noted in ticket #14374 ?
2 years old and still no solution....
Thanks for the link and your attention to my question.

So it seems that the problem has been known for a long time, yet no solution (and frankly doesn't seem to me
to be some unimportant detail)

I even installed/uninstalled several older versions of Virtualbox just to verify and yes, I confirm that all of them had this problem!

So we shall wait & see.

Anyway thanks for your comment.
dariyoosh

Post by dariyoosh »

mpack wrote:It seems simple to me: if you don't want to lose a connection then don't disable it.
I never said that I disabled intentionally the connection. As I explained, I disabled/enabled the "host" interface once the connection had been lost
on the "host" in order to reestablish the connection. And yes, loosing a network connection sometimes unfortunately happens (even in business, for sure)
peter999999

Post by peter999999 »

In addition to that: the problem arises not only if you intentionally disable the connection. In my case (and many other as you can see in the postings for Ticket #14734) the same effect arises after standby!