How to install programs from CD in XP image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VBnovice
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

How to install programs from CD in XP image

Post by VBnovice »

I'm new to using VirtualBox. I successfully installed Windows XP as an image in my Windows 10 laptop and it seems to work fine. The reason I installed this emulation is to run some programs that will only run in Windows XP.

How do Install programs in the XP emulated image? When I put a CD in the laptop's CD drive it opens up a window in the Windows 10 screen. How do I access the laptop's CD drive and then install a program into the XP image? I "shared" the CD drive from within W10 but that did not help. CD content will not open in the XP image even though I can "eject" from within XP.
Thank you.
BillG
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: How to install programs from CD in XP image

Post by BillG »

If the XP vm is running, click the Devices tab at the top of the windows and under Optical Drives select Host Drive

If it is not running, select Settings>>Storage and assign the host drive to the vm's optical drive from there.
Bill
VBnovice
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Re: How to install programs from CD in XP image

Post by VBnovice »

BillG wrote:If the XP vm is running, click the Devices tab at the top of the windows and under Optical Drives select Host Drive

If it is not running, select Settings>>Storage and assign the host drive to the vm's optical drive from there.
Thank you.