Host/guest processes at idle, cpu usage zero, CPU power output high

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Buzzington

Host/guest processes at idle, cpu usage zero, CPU power output high

Post by Buzzington »

Hi :) My apologies if this has been covered, or isn't even a VirtualBox-related issue. I've read the rules and several other similar looking threads to no avail...

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, with VirtualBox 5.2.0 - I have 6 virtual machines with many variations in settings. I run Manjaro, Mint and Solus VMs, plus a clone of my host OS, W8.1 and an ancient single-core XP machine (not all at once!)
I'm running my setup on an AMD A8-7600 with 8GB of DDR3-2133 RAM, using the iGPU on the processor. I noticed that when I start and run a virtual machine, the host and guest task managers will show little or no load at idle, as I would expect. However, unlike other posts I've read, there's virtually no load apparent on any process, despite HWMonitor showing that both compute modules (A8 not really so much a quad core as a dual-dual core) are running almost flat out, in my case, around 16-18w apiece. Utilitisation on HWMonitor shows the same as both guest and host task managers.

I thought maybe it was a bug in HWMonitor, since Process Explorer, Task Manager and generally looking at every available setting yielded no help. I also thought perhaps that the package output power was a mistake, going from about 25w idle to over 50w when a virtual machine was running, however, I know something is definitely going on since the cpu temperature is definitely rising, as well as the cpu fan speed.

Am I right in thinking that virtualisation seems to have two power states - full on or off - or is this some odd bug with my hardware or software? Beyond this, VirtualBox works like a dream - all the VMs bar XP are running on 2 cores, with 2GB of memory and using different settings for sound/usb/network. As it stands, installing a test OS onto my old laptop and running it next to my PC would use less power but this isn't a viable solution where space is at a premium. :)
PeterPiper

Re: Host/guest processes at idle, cpu usage zero, CPU power output high

Post by PeterPiper »

I have absolutely the same issue.
First I noticed that my laptop (HP Probook 450G1) is abnormally hot (very unusual picture for it).
I checked CPU usage: Idle Host/Guest CPUs (checked through Process explorer and Task manager).

Host CPU is Intel Haswell i7-4702MQ (it's laptop), 16GB of RAM on host.
Host VM: Windows 7 Ultimate; guest VM: Windows 7 Professional.

When guest VM was started I saw (by means of HWMonitor) that:
* CPU temperature was ~90-95 degrees by Celcius,
* Package power consumption was ~20W.
When I closed guest VM, the situation changed:
* CPU temperature reduced to common ~55-60 degrees by Celcius.
* Package power consumption was ~7-8W
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox cannot affect the climate, the weather, or the temperature of your CPU. Your CPU usage affects the temperature of your CPU (and the rest of the components).

So, something is actually being used in your computer, and that elevates the temperature. I'm not sitting in front of your computer, so you got to do the dirty work and figure out what that something is. But it's not magic.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PeterPiper

Post by PeterPiper »

I don't believe in magic either :D .
But I do have the reproducible fact:
* turned off guest machine -> everything is OK.
* turned on guest machine, idle CPU on guest machine and idle CPU on host machine -> big power consumption and rapidly increasing CPU temperature.

VirtualBox is 5.1.30 with guest add-ons installed.

Probably there are some problems with monitoring, but it's rather strange that both guest and host machines are bugged. Or some recent patches for recent security vulnerabilities were not so useful :D .

I will try to run the problematic VM on another host machine. Nearly the same VM (the problematic one was cloned from it ~1.5 months ago) runs without any problems on the desktop with much weaker CPU (old Intel i3) without any problems.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Well, as soon as you start the VM your CPU is practically running two PCs.
So it is no wonder it is consuming twice as much power and is running hotter.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Look in the guest task list to find out what processes are using lots of CPU or doing a lot of I/O.