Multiple External IP's on Windows host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wildman

Multiple External IP's on Windows host

Post by wildman »

On my Windows 7 Ultimate machine I have two physical network adapters. Adapter 1 is connected through my router to my ISP. Adapter 2 is connected directly to my ISP therefore I have 2 external IP's. I would like to configure VB (v5.2.0) to only use adapter 2 with the second IP. The guest OS will be Windows 10 and Windows 2003 server and only need access to internet using the second IP. Is this possible and if so how?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Multiple External IP's on Windows host

Post by BillG »

Yes, you can do that through Windows. On the Windows host, look at the properties of each NIC. On the NIC which you want only the host to use, clear the checkbox for VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. The vms now cannot use this NIC.

On the other NIC, clear all checkboxes except the Bridged Networking Driver. Now the host cannot use this NIC, only the vms can.
NDIS6.PNG
This is from Windows 10. It will look slightly different in Windows 7.
Bill
wildman

Post by wildman »

Tried exactly as suggested and also rebooted just in case but traffic still going through NIC1.
Verified by doing tracert from the VM to internet address and reply gave NAT gateway then my router then ISP gateway.
Also from the VM went to whatismyip and returned the NIC1 IP.
Suggestions?
wildman

Post by wildman »

I made this work by disabling the VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver on NIC1 as suggested but needed to enable all the protocols on NIC2.
I then use NAT for the guest and used port forwarding for the VM's. All works as wanted.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That sounds as if the your NICs are not as you described. The NIC you thought was NIC1 must in fact be NIC2 and vice versa.

Glad you sorted it out.
Bill