VB hang trying to change settings

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pampursoft

VB hang trying to change settings

Post by Pampursoft »

Hello,

VB 5.20 just installed on new laptop with latest Windows 10 Pro. VM's are working fine but if I try to change settings for any VM, Virtualbox hang with high CPU usage. I need to kill both VB tasks (manager and interface) in Windows Task manager.

I cannot change anything like network etc. in VM's. Only run it so as created.

Any idea what could be wrong? Laptop is new HP Spectre x360. Probably hardware incompatibility?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
VBox.zip
(24.53 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
pkerts

Re: VB hang trying to change settings

Post by pkerts »

I am having the exact same issue. Windows 10 home on a new Lenovo Yoga 920. As soon as I try to access the settings, whether it's from VirtualBox or from within the Windows 10 virtual machine, it crashes
marhsef

Post by marhsef »

Same here....upgrade to 5.2 on a SurfaceBook - Windows 10 Pro Version 1703

Just installed a couple of Windows updates prior to the VB 5.2 update (KB4048954) and (KB4049011) - previous VB version was VirtualBox-5.1.28-117968-Win

Can you easily downgrade?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Pampursoft wrote: Any idea what could be wrong? Laptop is new HP Spectre x360. Probably hardware incompatibility?
Unlikely, since VirtualBox doesn't use any host hardware. It uses the host OS like any other app.

IME, this problem is usually caused by a Qt framework conflict (some other app also installed Qt), or perhaps a problem with a 3rd party OS shell extension.

It's unlikely to be systemic in VirtualBox, otherwise a lot more people would have the problem.

Next time it happens, pop up the host task manage and see if you can spot a service DLL using a lot of CPU or I/O.