Bridged Connection not working in Windows 10 (after update?)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Gamliel

Bridged Connection not working in Windows 10 (after update?)

Post by Gamliel »

I suspect one of the latest Windows 10 updates has broken my VM bridged connections: the guest (Ubuntu) does not see the network any more.

In attachment the Network status as reprted by the Windows host.

I have upgraded to VirtualBox 5.2 from 5.1.30. Both versions have the same problem.

I have tried VMware as well, just to be sure that it was a Windows problem Windows and not of Virtualbox. VMware fails in the exact same way.

The solution might be to reset the network connection settings to their default values. However I have no idea on how to do it.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Attachments
BridgedConnection.png
BridgedConnection.png (54.32 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Bridged Connection not working in Windows 10 (after update?)

Post by BillG »

Why would posting a screenshot of the host only network help with a bridged network problem?

Have you tried using NAT? Does that work? Do you have any NICs in the vm configured to use bridged networking?
Bill
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Actually I am having this problem also. I am running Zorin guest on Windows 10 host. Yes it works on NAT but as I understand it you need to use Bridged Adapter if you want to connect the guest to your wireless printer? I have set Promiscuous Mode to Allow All. The default Adapter Type was Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop. I tried PCnet-FAST III no change. Latest version of Guest Additions installed. I have another computer with VirtualBox installed running Linux Mint guest on Windows 10 host set up on a Bridged Adapter and internet works fine and have got the printer wirelessly connected. On that computer the internet is via ethernet cable but the computer I am having trouble with has a wifi connection so I am thinking it might be something to do with that? Only have one Adapter enabled which is the same as the other computer that works on Bridged Adapter.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Bridged networking does not always work with a wireless NIC. Some do, some don't. If it worked before and a change on the host caused it to fail it is probably a problem with the NIC driver in the host OS.

You do not need to connect to a wireless adapter to see a printer on the network. The vm does not emulate a wireless adapter - it is always Ethernet even if the physical adapter is wireless. I can see my wireless printer from a vm bridged to the network through a physical Ethernet NIC.
Bill
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Interesting. I changed over from wireless NIC to ethernet cable and am happy to report internet and printer working with Bridged Adapter. Bit of a shame Bridged Adapter won't work with wireless NIC though, with three computers in my room it is already looking like spaghetti junction :lol: :roll:
Gamliel

Post by Gamliel »

Thank you @BillG and @Jedi. Reading your comments made me have a look at the possible alternative configurations I can use for the needs I have. I have configured the VM to be in a NAT network. For the moment I can do what I need.

Again thanks!
Poul

Post by Poul »

Please all read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85083

It's a known issue in 5.2 and has been fixed in testbuilds, so either wait for NeXT official release or try a testbuild.