[Solved] HDD Size lower than expected in 5.2.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rkbnair

[Solved] HDD Size lower than expected in 5.2.0

Post by rkbnair »

I have allocated 100 GB for the VirtualBox(Virtual Box 5.2.0) disk (Windows 7). However, when installing applications, it complains that there is no harddiskspace. When I checked the disk space, I see about 50 GB available?

Why is it an OPTION to register space?

Any idea how to fix this please?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box 5.2.0

Post by mpack »

None of that makes any sense. If you created a 100GB disk you have 100GB of capacity available, assuming you told the Win7 installer to create a partition to use the entire disk.

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
rkbnair

Post by rkbnair »

Here is the log file.
Attachments
vbox.log
(115.87 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You have two hdds attached to the VM. LUN#0 is 97.6GB, LUN#2 is 98.87GB.

Both seem to be working fine, so any capacity problem you have is either because you're looking at the wrong disk drive, or because you made mistakes partitioning and formatting the drives when installing the guest OS.

If you need to continue this conversation then please provide a precise error message, e.g. a screenshot.
rkbnair

Post by rkbnair »

The second disk drive, I just added to see if it makes a difference. But never used it. I will removing it.
Guest operating system didn't give an option for partitioning. Is there any documentation for the same?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

rkbnair wrote:Guest operating system didn't give an option for partitioning. Is there any documentation for the same?
I'm pretty sure that Windows installers ask you if you want to use the entire disk for the OS. If you answer no then it asks for details on how much you want to assign to the OS.

These are guest OS matters, nothing to do with VirtualBox. You get asked the same questions on a physical install.

All you have to do is look at the disk using the Disk Management tool in the Windows guest (My Computer | Manage | Disk Management). It will show you which drives are available and how they are partitioned.
rkbnair

Post by rkbnair »

Done! I had to allocate more space when installing Windows 7

Thanks for the help.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »