VirtualBox and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eliassal
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Win 2k12 and 16

VirtualBox and Hyper-V

Post by eliassal »

Hi, can VirtualBox and Hyper-V co-exist on the same machine? Since I activated Hyper-V on my windows 10, everytime I start a VM in VB, VB crashes.
Thanks for your help
SE
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox and Hyper-V

Post by mpack »

No, practically speaking they cannot co-exist.

Hyper-v is not just another VM platform, it's a type-1 hypervisor which starts before the host OS, therefore the host OS itself is a VM. That means that you're trying to run a VirtualBox VM within another VM, which is not currently supported even if you got something working.

The main problem is that Hyper-v grabs VT-x for its own exclusive use, hence much of VirtualBox functionality from the last few years is made unusable.
eliassal

Post by eliassal »

Thanks. After posting this topic, I came across an article at
https://derekgusoff.wordpress.com/2012/ ... e-machine/
where it gives instructions to desactivate Hyper-V. Is this safe?
SE
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

eliassal wrote:... it gives instructions to deactivate Hyper-V. Is this safe?
Safe in what sense? Turning off Hyper-v will not cause your PC to self destruct, the AV you installed in the host OS will carry on as normal. What safety issue did you have in mind?

All I can tell you is that if you want to run VirtualBox, Hyper-v must be disabled completely and the host rebooted from power off.
eliassal

Post by eliassal »

By safe, I meant that the solution suggested will allow smooth running of VB
SE
dresendi
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: RedHat, Ubuntu

Post by dresendi »

Have you ever heard of docker? I had an issue trying to have both, docker for windows wants to use HyperV, but if you use the Docker Tools you can avoid using HyperV and keep using VBox and after that experience I can tell you, both HyperV and VirtualBox can't co-exist in the same machine.
- Diego
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

VirtualBox runs happily on a Windows machine which does not have the Hyper-V feature enabled. If you disable it, you should be back where you started. As well as removing the Hyper-V code it should modify the boot loader so that the Microsoft hypervisor does not load.
Bill
eliassal

Post by eliassal »

Diego, which version of docker tools you use? Of course I use docker on windows and linux. I have used, 1 year back docker tools on qa windows machine but had so many issues, I opened several thred on docker forum but no responses for more than 6 months so I removed it.
SE
fbcyborg

Post by fbcyborg »

Hi, I totally agree, and I'm a VirtualBox user since a long time ago.
It's a shame that with Hyper-V enabled you can't continue using VirtualBox.
Unfortunately, I had to activate Hyper-V on my work laptop and I cannot use VirtualBox anymore too. And of course, I'm not blaming anyone.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

fbcyborg wrote:It's a shame that with Hyper-V enabled you can't continue using VirtualBox.
Please complain to Microsoft about that. Loudly!!!

The trick with VT-x is that it has to be shared, since it's "only one" available slot for its use. For example, VMware and VirtualBox do not use VT-x at the same time, but rather take turns. To put it simply, every program that uses VT-x should do this: VT-x lock, execute, VT-x unlock. This way other processes can use VT-x in turns.

On the other hand, Hyper-V permanently takes over VT-x and doesn't let anyone else use it. If a program uses VT-x from the moment it is loaded, and doesn't let go till the moment it dies, you have a problem. So, please complain to Microsoft about that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fbcyborg

Post by fbcyborg »

Thanks a lot for the precise explanation. This is something very helpful to be used to complain with Microsoft. It's totally absurd that because of them and the reasons you explained, we have to renounce to such features (vt-x).

I repeat, unfortunately I had to turn on Hyper-V for work purposes. And I'm really disappointed to be obliged to renounce to VirtualBox that I really love.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You could be enabling/disabling Hyper-V, depending on your needs... Don't let MS frighten you! :evil:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fbcyborg

Post by fbcyborg »

Haha LOL

It could be twice or 3/4 time per day :D :D :D :)
gvollant

Post by gvollant »

I hope Virtualbox will be soon compatible with Windows Hypervisor Platform (introduced in Windows 10 - April 2018 edition).

Google Android emulator beta is compatible
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

gvollant wrote:I hope Virtualbox will be soon compatible with Windows Hypervisor Platform
Unless you have a business case, or you provide the relevant source code changes, it's not going to happen any time soon. Wishful thinking is not a reason to change the way that your whole program works. C'est la vie...